Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 01:40 AM

Default Re: OT - Today, I am no longer a pro

Les,

I think i have posted in this forum maaaaaybe twice. hell, i actually have a gimmick account to post strat and use this one just for fun.
That being said, I can tell you almost for a fact that you will now become happier than you have ever been. I played poker for a living for over 3 years. i started out in sngs and moved to limit hold 'em ring games playing from 5/10-30/60 (depending where my roll was, always playing whatever i had to to keep myself in the action and be able to pay my bills)
well I accepted a job offer for about $40k a year. about 60% of what i've made the last 3 years playing poker. ever since taking the job, i have played better, felt better, and for some reason ran better (which i know has nothing to do with anything) than i ever have.
i know you said you never had "i hate poker" thoughts or whatever, but i promise you eventually would have. with you admitting your problems and thoughts about your kids, you are already more of a man than a lot people with 6 figure rolls and nice cars will ever hope to be. you did what you had to do to take care of the people you love and NOTHING is more important than that.
just imagine having all your bills paid, paying off your backers and keeping all the money you want in your bankroll. let me tell you....it's a wonderful feeling. you'll be able to buy your kids better christmas presents than you ever have, take them places you haven't before and play poker (almost) stress free.
much congratulations to you, and even though you don't know me, i just wanted to tell you that i am very proud of what you've written and done.

good luck
Old 05-02-2007, 02:28 AM

Good luck Les. Thanks for the times you PM'ed me when you saw me make a retarded push.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Les,
Glad to hear that you are going to be able to keep the house.

I had fun when we met up at Churchill downs last year, even though horse racing is hopelessly rigged against me.

The post you just made should be required reading for all aspiring pros.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

-noodleman

[/ QUOTE ]

Noodleman,

Churchill was fun that day, although I don't think I picked a single winner. I don't think Horse Racing is rigged against me tho, because the next time I went I hit like 3 exactas in a row (not monsters, but still. . . good times).

I very much appreciate your compliment of my post. I put a decent amount of time and effort into it in hopes that others would find it interesting and somewhat insightful. Your "endorsement" of my work means alot to me.

Thanks,

Les
Old 05-02-2007, 03:22 AM

Les,

I'm sorry to hear this, even tho we talked about it. When you decide you have enough time/money to come back into poker, talk to me.

This summer would be great to put you back on the right track, as i will have plenty of time. You probably put more effort into this game than just about anyone i know. We'll have you making millions soon enough.

Hit me up anytime,

Jason
Old 05-02-2007, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good post Les, it actually inspired me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-02-2007, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Les is my boy and has some real skills. Unfortunately he runs worse than anyone I have ever seen. GL with work and any poker on the side.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have really enjoyed the exchange of ideas that I have had with TFG over the last couple of months. I am also glad I was able to convince him to go to the Final Four and watch his gators pwn for a second straight year!

I don't totally recall how it is that we started chatting on AIM, but I have really come to enjoy it and learn from it. I'll never forget my thoughts the first couple of times TFG sent me hands seemingly out of the blue. My initial thoughts were (and I believe I even said this out loud with my son around) "Why is he sending ME a hand. . . this guy is so much better and more advanced than I am??" After getting to know him the last couple of months, I still believe him to be the better player, especially when he keeps tilt out of his game, but I will catch up with him soon!

I mentioned this, btw, in a thread that found its way into the twilight zone during the forum changeover a month or so ago, but I will state it here right now: Florida may have won the National Basketball Championship this year, but I promise that if you come into Kentucky for the UK vs. Florida football game that this Kentucky boy will personally whip you on the basketball court. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2007, 03:56 AM

i have no idea who you are but im instantly a fan. great post.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Noodleman,

Churchill was fun that day, although I don't think I picked a single winner. I don't think Horse Racing is rigged against me tho, because the next time I went I hit like 3 exactas in a row (not monsters, but still. . . good times).

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't pick any winners either but I still had a really good time.

After you left, Cleinen and I drank for about 15 hours straight bouncing from the downs to about 15 bars and a street festival.
At one point Cleinen tried to call Suited from a bar but was too drunk to work his phone and called skipperbob instead. We felt really bad about waking him up until we realized that even though we'd been drinking for many hours, it was only like 10pm in Louisville and 7pm in California.

When I finally woke up the next day I had a wicked hangover but still pwned 1-2 at Caesars Indiana for about $1500 in 3 hours. The derby crowd was there to gambooool, I really ought to try and get down there this week.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:32 AM

GL with your new job mate!
Old 05-02-2007, 05:48 AM

I hear ya buddy. They say if you want to really find out the character of someone, watch them when everything is going wrong. It sounds to me like you have the characteristics to be great at something. Anything. Probably poker. It's tough for me sometimes, all my past friends make large $. I was considered a major talent in another profession but my heart isn't in it. Money and worldly achievements don't determine who the winner's are. Well, they do kinda. The best people in the world are judged by the amount of heart and goodness they have. My favorite quote is this: It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or when the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worth cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. Theodore Roosevelt
Win or lose I want to be going for it. I've met a lot of success in my life. There's been a lot of failure as well. Success & Failure. When I think about how I am currently earning well under my potential, it reminds me of something. It reminds me that I a trying to design a life, not make a living. I have never read one of your posts, but I can tell I like you already. You'll be fine. You'll be a winner someday. Wait, you already are. It's a no brainer. You and I both just need to put a few more commas in our net worth to feel better. Keep grinding, I know you can't quit. See you when we get there. James