Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Re: 50NL - AJ in EP multiway

The big difference between AJos and AJs, as well as AQos and AQs (besides some statistical numbers) is what kind of pots you're going to play for. AJos and AQos win small pots or lose big ones, because you will by far most of the time have some kind of TPTK or TPGK hands. With hands like AJs and AQs on the other hand, you have at least potentially the chance to play for big pots when you hit a flop like TP+Nut FD or something similar. Generally, I'm also of the opinion that hands like AJos and AQos in EP and especially UTG should be folded and BTW, if you want to play them I'd rather come in raising than limping.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The big difference between AJos and AJs, as well as AQos and AQs (besides some statistical numbers) is what kind of pots you're going to play for. AJos and AQos win small pots or lose big ones, because you will by far most of the time have some kind of TPTK or TPGK hands. With hands like AJs and AQs on the other hand, you have at least potentially the chance to play for big pots when you hit a flop like TP+Nut FD or something similar. Generally, I'm also of the opinion that hands like AJos and AQos in EP and especially UTG should be folded and BTW, if you want to play them I'd rather come in raising than limping.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am aware that we are not just comparing AJo and AJs on pure showdown value. But consider this. If you hold AJs, then only 12% of all flops will contain at least 2 cards of your suit. Basically, 7 times out of 8, you won't have a flush draw on the flop and your AJs will play out the same way as AJo in those cases. So the suitedness will only make a difference for 1 out of every 8 flops. So you can "play for big pots" 1 out of 8 times. (Of course, there is no guarantee that you will win your big pot.) Overall, I think that the extra value of being suited is often way oversetimated fro hands like AJ - it's just not going to make a difference that often.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Overall, I think that the extra value of being suited is often way oversetimated fro hands like AJ - it's just not going to make a difference that <u>often</u>.

[/ QUOTE ]

You only need to win a big pot every once in a while to see a difference in the long run.
And if "x" flush chips will be won one time in "y" hands, then that adds an average +EV of x/y to each AJs starting hand, as opposed to AJo.
That might change a -EV number to a marginal +EV.

Playing a hand that is marginaly +EV has a welcome meta effect, as observing opponents will think "oh well, he isnīt that much of a nit", and that is good for your AA hands UTG also.