Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2006, 07:31 PM

Default The Best of the Gerber Baby - A Shillx Compilation - 1st Edition

The Best of the Gerber Baby - First Edition

<u> INTRODUCTION </u>

One of the best posters in the Micro-Limit Forum, Brad (aka Shillx), recently announced his retirement from 2+2. Some of the best advice that has ever come out of this forum has come from him and he has helped many of us learn an immense amount about this game. As was recently quoted by jhm after he announced his retirement: “Even when just scanning threads, you'd alway stop and read anything from Shillx." In order to make sure that his contributions will continue to help posters on this forum, both new and old, I have assembled a compilation of his best posts.

Here are a few comments about this compilation. The reason it is called the “Best of the Gerber Baby” is because Brad used the Gerber Baby as his avatar (although sadly, his posts post-retirement have no avatar). It was an easy to recognize marker for a post with good stuff inside. This compilation is far from complete and is only a first edition. I have reviewed several hundred Shillx posts so far with several (several, several) hundred to go. Over time, I will most likely publish two new editions that will span from his first posts to his last on this forum, each time including material from the previous edition(s) to make a complete volume. I have selected posts that I (a semi-n00b) and more importantly some of the top posters in this forum thought were great and "sexy" Shillx posts (as you will see by their replies).

If you have any Shillx favorites, post them in this thread and I will include them in the next edition. Please try to use the format I have laid out below. I am also very open to discussion of the organization of the compilation as well.

The compilation is organized by category: Preflop, Flop, Turn, River, Shillx Originals, and Shillx Classics (The last two are threads started by Shillx and absolute must-reads respectively). For each entry I have included a link to the original thread, the subject matter, additional subjects covered by the thread, and a brief description of Shillx’s contribution.

Now, on to the sexy!

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

<u> PREFLOP </u>

AJo flops TP.

Subject: Preflop Strategy at Different Table Types
Additional Subjects: Waiting Until the Turn to Bet
Description: In this thread Shillx make two posts. The first discusses how preflop play with AJo and similar hands should differ on tight vs. loose tables. The second discusses the merits of waiting for the turn to bet.

Little pair help plz

Subject: Playing Small Pairs Preflop (22-66)
Additional Subjects: Preflop Limping vs. Raising vs. Folding
Description: There are several posts by Shillx in this thread discussing when and how to play small pairs.

Call?

Subject: Playing Preflop When It is Folded to You
Additional Subjects: Pocket Pairs, Pre-Flop
Description: A "Golden Rules" post by Shillx discussing why you never fold a PP preflop with a bet invested and why you shouldn't open-limp.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

<u> FLOP </u>

KK and A flops

Subject: Playing a Strong Hand When an Ace Flops
Additional Subjects: Reevaluating on the Turn
Description: Another multiple Shillx post thread discussing different options when you have a strong hand (PP) and an ace flops. Ed Miller makes an appearance in this thread.

What do you do when you flop a monster on a steal?

Subject: Extracting Value from Strong Hands
Additional Subjects: Turn Play, Small Sets, Dealing with Steals Post Flop
Description: Shillx discusses the reasoning behind smooth-calling and 3-betting a strong hand on the flop.

Big pot poker

Subject: Flop Decisions Based on Reads
Additional Subjects: Adjusting for PFR LAG vs. PFR TAG
Description: Shillx Discusses various options for the flop depending on how your opponent reads you AND how you read your opponent.

a fairly common A-xs situation

Subject: Playing Axs When You Miss the Flop
Additional Subjects: Playing Axs Preflop, Pot Size, Redraws
Description: A short and simple but important reminder by Shillx on what to consider when you miss the flop.

<u> TURN </u>

QQ on a paired Board

Subject: Important Turn Play Concepts
Additional Subjects: Premium Pairs, WA/WB, "Value Checking", Paired Boards
Description: Excellent post in this thread where Shillx outlines an important turn decision.

55 makes a full house

Subject: How to Play (Very) Strong Hands in Hands with a lot of Action
Related Subjects: Game Speed vs. Hand Review Speed, When to Give Your Opponent Credit for Big Hands
Description: Multiple posts on what to do when you fill up in a fast and frenzied hand.

simple value bet/semibluff/free showdown situation

Subject: When to Raise on the Turn
Additional Subjects: River Play affected by Turn Play
Description: A great post submitted by nomadtla where Shillx describes the conditions for raising on the turn. This may take a couple reads to digest but it is fantastic stuff.

<u> RIVER </u>

ATo also a big loser, Hand 1.

Subject: Playing the River During an Aggresive Hand
Additional Subjects: ATo
Description: Shillx demonstrates why bet/calling the river when you and your opponent have shown a lot of strength is wrong.

<u> SHILLX ORIGINALS </u>

Hmmm Flush Draw hand

Subject: Flush Draws
Additional Subjects: Reading Opponents, Reading Hands
Description: Shillx is the original poster in this thread where he walks us through his logic while playing a live drawing hand.

Hmmm JTs UTG raise hand

Subject: Postflop Play Against Good Players
Additional Subjects: Playing vs. 2+2er (Thinking Players), Deceptive Play
Description: This is another Shillx original walking us through an interesting hand vs. a fellow 2+2er.

Hmmm AJo hand

Subject: Playing HU vs. a Good Player
Additional Subjects: Playing vs. 2+2er, Donking
Description: Shillx posts a hand he played at a 2+2 table. A lot of interesting analysis from some great posters.

<u> SHILLX CLASSICS </u>

Instances of WA/WB

Subject: Set Plays at the Micro Level
Additional Subjects: WA/WB
Description: Shillx gives us multiple examples of set plays (from his playbook) on how to play various situations at the micro level. This isn't a must read. This is a refuse beer and sex until after you've read it kind of read!
Old 01-15-2006, 07:48 PM

Default Re: The Best of the Gerber Baby - A Shillx Compilation - 1st Edition

Excellent work, my man. Thumbs up.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't a must read. This is a refuse beer and sex until after you've read it kind of read!

[/ QUOTE ]

This should go with all of these threads. Some I know, some I hadn't read before but all are must reads for micros.

Your work is the sexxiness Loyal. Thanks
Old 01-15-2006, 08:07 PM

Insta-favorite. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2006, 03:29 AM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.

Bumped so that everybody gets a chance to put it in their favorites. It was on page 2 by the time I got to it.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The selected post/topic has been added to your list. You will see this entry in 'My Home' until you remove it if you added it as a Favorite. You also will get any replies to your Favorite topics emailed to you if you have this option enabled in your profile. Reminders will not be emailed to you and will go away once you make a reply to the post. In a moment you will be automatically returned to the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-20-2006, 08:16 PM

nice thread loyalguard, thanks!
Old 10-11-2006, 07:40 AM

See my baller poster's thread. Dude rated number one.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:18 AM

Just when I thought I knew everything, something like the WA/WB post knocks me back on my ass. Wow seriously, what a fantastic post. On a related note, I have gotten to the next phase of my game play. I have been thinking a lot about what my opponent has, what can I put him on if he checks, donk-bets, c/r, what will I do about it if he does that to me? Posts like the WA/WB where Shillx has outlined specific situations to follow one line or another is absolute gold to me for where I'm at in my poker learning. I think I've fallen into a routine postflop, which may make me somewhat predictable to observant players, or even some non-observant! In fact, I do notice that the longer I sit with fish, the less they are inclined to pay me off later in a session. I don't know if I should change tables more frequently because of this, or try some of these moves a little more.

Fantastic compilation Loyalguard!!
Old 10-11-2006, 10:29 AM

Ok you have officially ruined my day at work. Now I will get nothing done.

Greg