Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation

Old 10-22-2007, 12:06 PM

Default *Official* PPA Fly-In Thread

Did a little searching and was surprised not to find a thread specicially dedicated to the PPA Fly-In happening in Washington this week. I'm excited about attending the opening reception tonight, hopefully meeting some of the big names in poker, and making a difference in the results of some of the upcoming legislation. Is anyone else attending the event? What are your thoughts?

As far as myself, I haven't even been playing poker for the last six months or so. Part of this is due to new factors in my life (marriage and law school, mostly). However, to be completley honest (not too proud of this), I've found that the online game has simply gotten to difficult for me. I used to make a moderate hourly profit playing, but once the legislation went into effect, a lot of the less talented players no longer went through the effort to play. If I used to be at about the 75th percentile in terms of talent, I bet that a big chunk of the worst half of players stopped playing. Now I'm around the 50th percentile and have trouble just beating the rake.

My goal is to make poker easier for every responsible player to enjoy. My hope is that lots of responsible, less talented players will get involved in the game again and I can start making a profit again.

Hope to see a few of you out there!

Incidently, I live in the Washington area, so this isn't a huge burden for me. I hope not to miss a single law school class during the week. For any of those making the trip to Washington and taking a lot of time out of your lives to help with this, please accept my sincere appreciation.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:10 PM

Default Re: *Official* PPA Fly-In Thread

I hope to attend some of the events, but will likely only be able to swing the Tuesday evening reception due to work limitations.

Anyone coming into town (or even a local) is more than welcome to drop me a line.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope to attend some of the events, but will likely only be able to swing the Tuesday evening reception due to work limitations.

Anyone coming into town (or even a local) is more than welcome to drop me a line.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the sound of it they are expecting over 100 out of towners. Spoke to John this morning.

I wouldn't expect a lot of out of towners to repond today as most are traveling.

The list of poker celbs is pretty good. Although Moneymaker may have to cancel.

D$D
Old 10-22-2007, 12:50 PM

[quote

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm hoping to meet Barry Greenstein. We graduated from the same college (University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana) and he's just supposed to be one of the nicest guys in poker.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:38 PM

I'm here. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Look forward to meeting all of you this evening.

FYI: Internet access (WiFi) is free in the rooms. Just sign up for Omni Select (also free) at the sign-in screen.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:51 PM

I just wanted to wish you all good luck, and to let you all know I appreciate all of those flying in and attending.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[quote

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm hoping to meet Barry Greenstein. We graduated from the same college (University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana) and he's just supposed to be one of the nicest guys in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Small world.

I used to go to concerts at SUI Edwardsville.

Saw the Greatful Dead there twice.

D$D
Old 10-22-2007, 04:41 PM

Waaaaaa

Wish I could be there.

Skallagrim

PS - Would anyone who gets to talk with Howard Lederer please tell him Skallagrim from 2+2 says hello and hopes to speak with him again.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:55 PM

*Grumbles more*

Now I might not be able to go to the Tuesday reception either.

It's like I have a job or something. AAAAAAHHHH

"Please join the boss for his 6:30pm event Tuesday night." WTF
Old 10-22-2007, 09:58 PM

Just got back to my hotel. I was a little disappointed in the reception. Spoke with Chris Ferguson and Barry Greenstein for a few minutes. Saw Annie Duke, Howard Lederer, Chris Moneymaker, Andy Block and Sen Demato. After 30 min, Demato gave a short speak and then they made an annoucement about a special event and all the pros left. Not sure if they were having a dinner, but the room went dead after that. Spoke with a couple other on line players from KY, WA, and CA. My congressman won't meet with me, so there isn't much left for me to do. Came to DC on business, so it's no big deal. Just would have preferred that some of the pros stuck around and chatted with those of us that took the time to show up. Was hoping a a poker game might happened, but it didn't. So back to room for some online. Not sure I will go to the Wed night reception at the Rayburn. Thought some of you that couldn't attend would like the report. Later