Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 07:51 PM

Default 5.50 rebuy - 13 left shortstacked

pretty straightforward question, do I raise, fold, or push here?

7 handed, 46k stack, blinds at 2k/4k with 400 ante.

UTG dealt A4 offsuit. Fold, Raise, All in?

Table image is rock. Fairly new to table, pushed a few times , only shown down once with KQ which was the best hand on flop. Other than that, not really mixing it up in many pots.

Other players are playing pretty loose-passive, even the big stacks are just limping any 2 about every other hand. Of the other 6 players, 3 have about the same stack as I, the other 3 have pretty monster stacks but have not really been trying to pick off players.

Hope that is enough info. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:11 PM

Default Re: 5.50 rebuy - 13 left shortstacked

Very easy fold in my opinion. You still have nearly 12bb and you cant push A4o here. This hand is way too weak.

Btw: Your question should be: push or fold, as raising is obviously no possible choice here.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:13 PM

I'm thinking fold. folding out 6 opponents is difficult, and you need to do it quite often to be profitable. Also, your hand doesn't play way against typical calling ranges of your opponents (Pretty much the strongest aces, and any pair bigger than a 4 [55, 66, 77 not likely calling though.]). You will have an M of a little over 6 after folding, and the blinds passing, which isn't so bad. I'd rather shove in LP with 89s than in UTG with A4o.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:15 PM

Your M is close to 5 which doesn't make a shove that bad. I don't think raising is an option. Even with all this its still a hard decision. I fold since your UTG and haven't seen anyone else act yet and are likely drawing to 3 outs if your AIs called
Old 10-10-2007, 08:16 PM

If you are in desperation mode, about to die off, Ace 4 is a steal hand, but never a hand you call a raise with. Go into hyper aggressive mode and start shoving with any suited cards, offsuited connectors 6 7 and higher, any pair, any two faces, hope to win when you are called. Otherwise keep getting aggressive until you have enough chips to play tight again, waiting out for premium hands.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:26 PM

good stuff guys. the reason i made raise an option is because sometimes a raise makes your hand seem stronger than it really is. i mean would i really shove with aa kk here? probably not, i woudl try to raise 3-5x and get some money in the pot.

but yeah, i did get called by another short stack on the button with 88 and almost made runner runenr flush but this was my last hand. bummer. but yeah, i was thinking after, man, a4 sucks lol why didnt i fold.......
Old 10-10-2007, 08:36 PM

easy fold for me even though table is 7 handed there's still too many players left to act (plus you said table is playing loose...which presumably would get a loose call)
Old 10-10-2007, 08:43 PM

not really, they were respecting my raises a ton, and not calling many raises in general, but yeah, fold obv........
Old 10-11-2007, 05:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Table image is rock. Fairly new to table, pushed a few times

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make sense. How can you have an image already if you are new to the table? And how can it be the image of a rock if you already pushed a few times?

Anyway. This is an easy fold at a 7-handed table. Push any 2 in the SB and have the same effect (stealing blinds) with far less risk.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG dealt A4 offsuit

[/ QUOTE ]

Here we go again....