Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 11:02 PM

Default freeroll final table 2pair

~24 man freeroll, winnings are points towards a leaderboard or cash for first place. At final table (9 players) I'm close to the chip lead or possibly the chip leader, there were no official chip counts. I have about 35k and the average stack is about 25k. Blinds 500/1000 with 100 ante.

Loose-ish slightly intoxicated guy with about 30k raises to 3000 from middle position, I call from the button with ATo. No other calls. Flop comes Ad Qd Ts and he bets 6000. I don't feel like laying this down, but I feel like calling is too dangerous and doesn't get anywhere given the size of the bet, pot, and stacks, and raising is iffy too because he's already committed 1/3 of his stack so it's going to be hard to move him off if he has decent draws or has me beat (wagering a lot of money that he can win by outdrawing me or already having me beat). What's the play here? Thanks...
Old 10-05-2007, 09:18 AM

Default Re: freeroll final table 2pair

allin
Old 10-05-2007, 10:36 AM

shove all day
Old 10-05-2007, 10:57 AM

From MP and under the influence, he could have (taking both his pre-flop and flop bets into account) at least 99+, A8+, KQ, KJ, QJ. Of that very wide range, you're afraid of only four hands.

Unfortunately, with him having only 21k back, your only real option is to shove, as calling any decent raise would commit him.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:15 AM

If you're calling preflop raises with AT then I think you need to get all in on a flop like this.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:21 PM

alright thanks everyone... i did end up pushing, and he called with k9d (gutshot+flush draw) and rivered the flush. i posted because i felt like an idiot afterwards because i'd basically put my tournament on a really slight advantage (60/40ish) but it looks like that was unavoidable unless i fold preflop.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:21 PM

Fold preflop.
As played, shove flop.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's going to be hard to move him off if he has decent draws or has me beat (wagering a lot of money that he can win by outdrawing me or already having me beat).

[/ QUOTE ]

You really want him to call with his draw here after you push, you don't want to "move him off" it. If he currently has you beat, owellz that's poker.

Preflop I'd raise or fold. Calling preflop will make for some tough postflop decisions almost always. You hit this flop as hard as can be expected and are still waffling.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
alright thanks everyone... i did end up pushing, and he called with k9d (gutshot+flush draw) and rivered the flush. i posted because i felt like an idiot afterwards because i'd basically put my tournament on a really slight advantage (60/40ish) but it looks like that was unavoidable unless i fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, if you had M~50 and he was a TAG at M~45, in the middle of the tournament, I could see maybe folding this preflop, and if I had a deathgrip read that he was not raising with anything but a set/straight, I could see laying this down after the flop.

You ain't there.

Your M~14 at the FT, on the button vs. a 'looseish' opponent. A-10 beats most of this guy's range preflop, and you got a great flop for your hand. You don't have time to be folding these situations, and winning hands like this is what wins you tournaments in the end.

You got your money in with the best of it, your opponent made a mistake and won anyway. Happens to me all the time. But not every time. In fact, not most of the time.