Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Why won\'t all the states just opt out

[ QUOTE ]
FOF = Foes of Fun

"Rep Cohen (TN): Is there any kind of fun you are for?"
FOF guy: ..... what?"

Skallagrim

[/ QUOTE ]
I like that:"Foes of Fun"

They are too busy saving us from ourselves and the evils that they only can see to allow any fun in.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:11 PM

They won't all opt out. Nevada might opt in. Just for some breathing space the total should be around 45, but still bet the over. Have you ever looked at or talked to state Reps and Senators? They make Max Bauchus seem tolerant and open-minded.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:16 PM

I tried to make my post accurate as I could and to choose my words carefully, but I just missed that one. I should have typed "most of the states" will likely opt out. I agree specifically about Nevada. Oh btw, I hope I am dead wrong.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:22 PM

I would take the way under on 45. Unless the states get serious money we might just have a worse scenario than we have now.

More and more it looks like we need a hail mary from the WTO to maintain some sense of normalcy otherwise the sports betting sites will have a big head start on sites like FTP or PS which will have to operate more outside the law. Right now they can hide behind the ambiguity of the wire act towards poker. This new law would define that.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:48 PM

There may be some opt outs, and some in's as well.
Remember, the Wexler bill will make us a lot of allies, there are many who play other games and state opt outs will rile them as well since I do not think it logical if the Wexler bill passes states can opt out by the game.

Opt outs then will affect Chess, Backgammon and many other games plus all thiose who play those board games as well, heck, I'd bet there are between all those other gamers, more of them than us.

obg
Old 11-16-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They won't all opt out. Nevada might opt in. Just for some breathing space the total should be around 45, but still bet the over. Have you ever looked at or talked to state Reps and Senators? They make Max Bauchus seem tolerant and open-minded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Add in the State Attorney Generals and a few nutball Govenors and you begin to see how much "local" politics can significantly affect national issues.

Not to continue to beat a long dead almost pertrefied horse, but you can see fairly quickly the need for organized State efforts if nothing else but to combat the FoF types who are already organized.

A PAC could be useful as well.

Both take a good deal of commitment, time and money. Time is the only element that is always in short supply, and can not be replenished.

D$D
Old 11-16-2007, 09:37 PM

WTO granting Antiqua the IP sanctions is not a Hail Mary. But it's not a sure thing. On the one hand, the credibility of the WTO is at stake. On the other hand, taking on the biggest member is hazardous too.
The WTO might come out with a strong statement like we either ban all gambling or allow online gambling, grant Antiqua lots of trade compensation $, but then wimp out by not granting the IP sanction to enforce the judgment.
If it was the UN, it would be more than a Hail Mary for us. I'm hoping that the panel or whoever decides are not French or Italian. Call it a coin flip with us having the pocket pair.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm hoping that the panel or whoever decides are not French or Italian. Call it a coin flip with us having the pocket pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope for all of us that whoever is on the panel plays small to mid pair against an overly agressive player like the Bush Administration who politically is freerolling with "us" the only ones with anything at risk. Not my opinion of major +EV action there.

But I as part of "we" only stand to loose as a "major" win would be back to the pre-UIGEA "stalemate" with Hanaway types still opining that all on-line is illegal. Well not for the individual players, depending on their State of domicile, and not for off-shore operators who can't be touched. Stuck with some form of e-pass tax, because the US banking system can't figure out how to get enough of the poker pie.

Like Doyle's saying he was comming back, just another semi-US friendly clone of the current status quo. No major US banking for transfers, still fighting the Foes of Fun types spouting off about the crack of on-line gaming, but now with most on-line grinders happy to know they will get their monthly checks, and the fish still confused, even with MGM or other US based but non-bank backed e-pass type deposits.

Yeah that is a rosey picture for future PPA fundraisers. Just barely enough entertainment $10 a week players to keep the grinder's monthly nut covered, just enough US legitimaticy for even the causal player to continue and no spark left for potential political action. Bryan guess you'd get to go skiing after all!

Not my idea of a major pot or much of a hand worth playing for +EV!

Hey Tuff, you think I could get poli-sci majors to watch me screaming at my monitor to 2+2 legislative posts they way you rose to fame cussing at idiots playing on-line? That or psych majors doing doctoral work! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

D$D<-- looking for those mostly ignored home game invites
Old 11-17-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Hey Tuff, you think I could get poli-sci majors to watch me screaming at my monitor to 2+2 legislative posts they way you rose to fame cussing at idiots playing on-line? That or psych majors doing doctoral work! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

D$D<-- looking for those mostly ignored home game invites

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recommend my method for reaching fame. Rob a bank instead. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Keep the faith, I am still thinking.

Go Here for a good time

Wild ass new idea, but.....

Notice the handbiters flocking out of the woodwork. Amazing.

Tuff
Old 11-18-2007, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

WTO granting Antiqua the IP sanctions is not a Hail Mary. But it's not a sure thing. On the one hand, the credibility of the WTO is at stake. On the other hand, taking on the biggest member is hazardous too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the USA is the "biggest member" - but is it bigger than the rest combined? hell no!

Not to mention it's economy is tanking beyond expectation... time is not on your side.

In addition, the USA is claiming is it not a single entity, merely a collection of disparate "states" that enact their own laws... as far as the rest of the world is concerned, I'm not sure anyone believes this BS. I am in fact fairly certain the rest of the world does not even recognise the states as legal entities... they are simply regions, or counties / whatever - of the USA.

In no way can the USA act as a giant when threatening others, but when threatened itself claim to be an independent collection of disparate entities... lol.

Oh, and yes - the WTO reputation is at stake. Do not underestimate it, based solely on the the fact that Antigua is the complainant. WTO+Antigua is at most testing the waters. Is it already forgotten hoe manny millions were wipes from the London stock exchange due to UIGEA?

To us in the UK, the USA banning gambling is like France banning British cheese! Gambling is a totally normal thing over here - to ban international commerce to serve your own vested interests (Lotteries, horse racing etc.) is not a fair thing to do IM(continent's)O.