Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Are 3$ rebuy players capable of squeezing?

In answer to your post heading I think that he has a hand like AK/AQ moe often than a true squeeze with ATC...preflop is an error...why bet more than standard if you are worried about what to do if raised? Without so much in the pot this would be an easy fold but the pot is really juicy now...any reads at all? guess a fold but I may push real time...no real interest in limping in and passing up thin spots
Old 10-13-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i raised so big because of anti's. plus im not great with 99/TT postflop

[/ QUOTE ]

While you are correct that you should often adjust your PF raise amount up as the money in the pot to start the hand goes up, you are forgetting that larger blinds and antes lead to smaller effective stacks in tournaments. Smaller effective stacks means that SMALLER PF raises become more optimal.

Therefore, unless you are trying to manipulate the pot-size, you have no real reason here to make such a large raise. 2.5-3.0xBB should be fine here.

Also, the fact that you don't feel comfortable playing 99/TT PF so you raise more makes you extremely exploitable. I always shove JJ against an over-sized raise like this b/c it is never AA-QQ and is always 88-TT. The thought process you are using here (raise more with my medium strength hands) is not a good one. It will lead to you getting all the worse hands to fold and the stronger hands to call.

As played, you should fold.

Sherman
Old 10-13-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise to 2500-3000 preflop, 4625 is godawful

as played, fold

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-13-2007, 07:16 PM

full tilt has a bet pot option just right? I'm guessing that's what your raise is based on.

I don't play on FTP but I play some tourneys on UB and there's a bet pot button there too. Whenever I see a player frequently using it I generally assume he's fairly bad. By the time antes kick in, betting pot makes the raise way too high for my liking especially when I'm stealing blinds with frequency. I keep my open raises at 2.5x with antes whether I have AA or QJ.

As an example lets say I have a 20k stack in the OP's example. If I bet pot to just steal the blinds I'm putting almost 1/4 of my stack in just to steal. If I have my standard raise as 2.5x I'm putting in just over half of a bet pot option. There may be situations where I'm wanting to juice the pot preflop but most of the time I keep it standard regardless of my hand.

Sherman noted that the OP's discomfort in playing 99/TT as being exploitable. I find that habitual psb raisers are exploitable independent of their holdings because they end up playing in unnecessarily large pots.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:03 PM

He raised almost half his stack to your oversize preflop bet... unless you're ready to risk being crippled with TT, lay it down. As said before, increasing your preflop raise like that often looks like you don't want action.