Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 07:26 PM

Default another example of weird villain all in $10

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

UTG (t2970)
UTG+1 (t2960)
MP1 (t2570)
MP2 (t2830)
MP3 (t2870)
CO (t2840)
Button (t3600)
SB (t3090)
Hero (t3210)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls t20, Button calls t20, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t140</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t2840</font>, Button folds, SB folds, Hero ?

go for quick start/quick exit?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Re: another example of weird villain all in $10

He played it really weird to have QQ-AA. Looks like he's gambling with AK here, but the call on the button looks so weak with only one other player in there before him,then to shove gives it away to me. I think your beat or at best flippin a coin.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:40 PM

As someone who still quite often plays like a donkey, I am perhaps uniquely qualified to offer insight into the donkey mind.

Until embarrassingly recently, an early all-in raise from late position from me almost always meant 99-JJ. My feeling was that the hands had too much value to set-mine and were too difficult to play post flop. So pushing was the only thing I could think of to do to get any value at all, and I would have been perfectly happy to pick up your 140 chips even if you had flipped your TT face up.

Also, FWIW, Sklansky wrote somewhere that AK has properties that make it attractive to shove. I'm obviously aware that he wasn't talking about shoving 140BB early in a tourney, but it might be another explanation for the strange shove.

So if your villain is me from a few months ago, you're looking at a coinflip here.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:33 PM

I'd call.

Even though it's often difficult to think like a donkey, I don't see him limping a big hand in co here. An EP limp/shove I could see his range skewing towards premium hands but not LP. I'd probably expect to see a lower pair here (even though a call in position and getting set mining odds are fine for him).