Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: 12/180 : AJs in CO faces BB all-in

you think villan would fold any pair here..? Ive played a fair amount of these and im pretty sure he is pushing any pair against a LP raiser.

Plus, the blinds increase every 5m, I would rather bust here with AJ then get to 200/400 and possibly blind out 1/6 of my stack
Old 10-10-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you think villan would fold any pair here..? Ive played a fair amount of these and im pretty sure he is pushing any pair against a LP raiser.

Plus, the blinds increase every 5m, I would rather bust here with AJ then get to 200/400 and possibly blind out 1/6 of my stack

[/ QUOTE ]

Blinds increase every 5m in an SNG and a turbo. I guess this is a turbo? Well, if it's a turbo, then BB's range could be a little bigger, I guess. But, if it's a turbo, you have a perfect pushbot stack as well. So, I guess calling is good, I didn't think in terms of turbos (since I don't play turbo tourneys often), but meh, you could argue for both. It's almost like flip a coin.

Barry
Old 10-10-2007, 04:09 PM

agree with barry. 2000+ posts... yeah, agree with barry.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
agree with barry. 2000+ posts... yeah, agree with barry.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, 2000 posts, trust me I still suck, and also, it's hard to disagree when the analysis comes to do "flip a coin," but that's where I'm at on this one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Barry
Old 10-10-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This may be flawed thinking and probably even moreso at these small stakes turbo games, but I raised it to 1000 to discourage action from the blinds and just pick up a cheap, uncontested pot. I find that if I raise to 800, I'm getting hands like KTo, J9s+,all pairs, etc. to come along (and that they probably fold to the 1000 raise). I know my hand is way ahead of these and that a cb will likely take down the pot on the flop but I would still rather end the hand pf, not necessarily out of fear of flopping but more for simplicity's sake.

I like the advice about only being concerned with the BB's stack, though and I had not considered it at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before u act in this (or any other hand) u should be thinking about what u would like to accomplish by betting. With a hand as strong as AJs from LP, u should be trying to get value from worse hands. If u raise to 800 and everyone folds this is fine, but making it 1000 and wanting worse hands to fold is wasting the value of this holding.

Theorhetically, when u increase the size of your raise, u narrow the range of potential callers (this is not necessarily true if players are loose/bad.) Therefore, the key to sizing raises is to bet the max amt that worse hands will call with.

Get into the habit of raising less, when u make it 800 from LP and everyone folds, show when u have AK;TT-AA. As Lev said, playing against hands that u dominate in position is very profitable/EV+.