Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Good spot to get it in as a likely dog?

Really short stacked villain pushes. I have suited connectors and a short stack as well, but I have villain well covered. Does money in the blinds and antes make this a push against what is expected to be a pretty wide range from villain? I expect to be behind, but not a big dog to most hands villain might have.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

SB (t5260)
BB (t6915)
UTG (t4095)
MP (t4545)
CO (t935)
Hero (t2615)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t400, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t910</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2590</font>

Good idea? Bad idea? Will blinds and UTG fold enough here to get heads up with CO?

Converter didn't catch it, but ante is t25, so pot when I push is 200(sb)+400(bb)+400(limp utg)+150(ante)+910(short stack push) = 2060.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Good spot to get it in as a likely dog?

if you were SB or BB i wouldnt think it would be bad, but I would fold this. Reads on UTG would help a lot here also

edit: after furthur thought, I think this is good if u know UTG will fold most of the time. If UTG had not limped and CO pushed with his stack I would probably push this hand also
Old 10-06-2007, 03:15 PM

I don't really like it...why did UTG limp with 10 BBs, CO obviously doesn't need much but he also probably has 9 high beat, one of the blinds could wake up with a hand, and finally UTG is getting a really great price to call even if he just limped a marginal hand. I just think there's too many factors against this play that make it not good. I know you're short and you'd gladly take a risk to get some chips, but I think open shoving pretty much anything is better than this spot.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:45 PM

i agree with dunkman, if UTG doesnt limp you will probably have the pot odds necesary to cover your win percentage against villain. But since he did limp UTG with plenty of chips to play with i would be a little suspicious and hesitant to try to puch the connectors