Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 09:55 AM

Default any experience with laptop spills out there?

My girlfriend has a pretty lengthy paper that she needs to write for the end of her semester in her master's program. Last night she managed to spill some seltzer water on the computer. She called me to tell me about this, and mentioned that the keyboard was acting a little weird. After emailing herself the paper, she turned off the computer, flipped it over to drain as much liquid as possible, and then ran a blow dryer over it to dry it somewhat.

A couple of hours later, she went back to try it again, and the keyboard is definitely acting pretty crazy. Several of the keys on the left hand side - tab, Q, A, left shift - alternate between not working at all and getting stuck and sending out nonstop streams. (She was getting to enjoy lesser used features of Windows XP, like Sticky Keys, up close and personal.) So, at this point she finally realized, "Wow, I'm kinda [censored]," and started flipping out a bit. She's going to work on campus today for the interim, and has started investigating/thinking about getting the laptop serviced.

Right now my best plan for a temporary solution is to go over to her place with a USB keyboard in a few hours, throw that in and see if it fixes the problem. I think she's not enamored of this plan because it turns her laptop into a desktop; I like it because it makes it a computer again, which is by far the most pressing need for the next couple of weeks. The main issue, I think, is whether or not plugging in a USB keyboard will lead to the default keyboard disabling itself - I guess I can always hit up the control panel once I get the thing going.

Longer term, the prices that these service guys sound like they're going to charge are pretty high. High enough that unless it's just the keyboard, buying a new laptop makes more sense. Anybody have a good method for diagnosing the extent of the damage, and whether it's limited to the keyboard (my current assumption is yes)? If I can confirm that it's just the keyboard, I'd be tempted to try and order a new one from Dell and just put it in myself.

Any suggestions/things I'm not thinking of?
Old 04-24-2007, 09:59 AM

Default Re: any experience with laptop spills out there?

ur toast
Old 04-24-2007, 10:02 AM

turn it upside IMMEDIATELY (its clearly too late for this).

LET IT DRY FOR AT LEAST A DAY JESUS. You will short all of the circuits that arent already fried if they are wet when you turn it on. At our school, we have warranties on all laptops issued by the school. If she has a friend with the same deal, go find someone who knows computers and ask them what parts are fried. Switch these with her warranty friends computer, get new parts, swap out. Profit.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:47 AM

I spilt half a glass of water onto the keyboard of my laptop, the right hand side above the DVD player. It died within minutes. That is all.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:08 AM

Yeah, you need to turn it off immediately without hesitation, remove the battery, and then leave it over a mild heat source for at least 24 hours to dry. It is best if you open the whole computer up. One thing that I have heard of people trying is to open up the laptop and rinse out its entire insides with distilled water. Should not ruin any components as long as it is allowed to completely dry.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you need to turn it off immediately without hesitation, remove the battery, and then leave it over a mild heat source for at least 24 hours to dry. It is best if you open the whole computer up. One thing that I have heard of people trying is to open up the laptop and rinse out its entire insides with distilled water. Should not ruin any components as long as it is allowed to completely dry.

[/ QUOTE ]

turn it off, remove battery, etc, like jw said, let it dry overnight, but use rubbing alchohol and a cotton swab to clean everything up, then let dry again.