Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 12:31 PM

Default Do your wives/girlfriends like Wii?it going to be hot this christmas?

So I recently had pokerstars send me a Wii with FPP points. I have seen that in some sections of the US there are WII shortages. So my plan was to hold it on the chance that it got *hot* near Christmas so I could ebay it.

But it is now just sitting there and it looks fun and I am thinking of keeping it. But my wife barely puts up with the poker, so I don't think it would make much sense unless I kept it and bought games she would like. She has never been a video game fan, but we do live near a boardwalk and she does love competitive games, like air hockey.

Any suggestions? Do any of you have wives or girlfriends who did not like video games, but like playing the Wii? Any particular games to check out?

But...then again....I am in grad school right now so disposable income is in short supply. Does anyone thing think the Wii will be in such short supply this Christmas I will be able to get $400-$500 on Ebay? Or will Nintendo have an adequate supply?
Old 10-12-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Do your wives/girlfriends like Wii?it going to be hot this christmas?

My suggestion is this: Keep poker as the serious game you play, and keep the Wii as the fun thing you two play together. There's nothing wrong with getting good multiplayer games she can enjoy like WiiPlay or Mario Party or Monkey Ball.

If disposable income is in short supply, perhaps gambling isn't the best idea at this time?
Old 10-12-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Do your wives/girlfriends like Wii?it going to be hot this christm

Chicks who do not normally like video games like Wii, period. A lot of hardcore gamers talk the motion controls down, but casual/non-gamers love it. My girlfriend plays Wii Sports a lot and still calls me a dork for playing PC games.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If disposable income is in short supply, perhaps gambling isn't the best idea at this time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I deposited $50 six months ago and now have an adequate bankroll for NL100. Poker is EV+ for me, and I am responsible with my bankroll management.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chicks who do not normally like video games like Wii, period. A lot of hardcore gamers talk the motion controls down, but casual/non-gamers love it. My girlfriend plays Wii Sports a lot and still calls me a dork for playing PC games.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is me exactly. My wife has NEVER played a game before that I didn't drag her into (she enjoyed mario party on GC if I made her play it) but she can't get enough Wii.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:20 PM

Open it up and start playing Wii Sports with her. She will love it.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:25 PM

a) wii will be in shortage around xmas...so yeah, it'll likely be able to get a premium over retail

b) there is a good chance ur wife will like it even tho she doesn't like traditional video games...that's a big part of wii's strategy

open it up and play it...if she doesn't like it, then u should still be able to sell a 'slightly used' wii for just over retail around xmas
Old 10-12-2007, 02:46 PM

I'm the luckiest guy alive, my GF played Halo 3 by herself for an hour while I cooked, we ate, then played for 3 hours together.

As for the Wii, I would keep it and get some games you would both enjoy. Wii sports is usually a hit with females. I doubt you'll be able to ebay. Everyone I know that wanted a Wii had no trouble finding one, so I doubt you'll be able to mark it up as much as you'd like.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:39 PM

If you are the luckiest guy alive, why isn't your GF cooking?
Old 10-12-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a) wii will be in shortage around xmas...so yeah, it'll likely be able to get a premium over retail

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I talked to the guy at Target today. They had no Wii in stock, and he said they are getting limited shipments of them until January. Looks like nintendo is keeping them in short supply for the buzz factor.