Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (11/26 - 500k buyin pt 4 - Spoilers all over)

[ QUOTE ]
I do not claim to be an expert...and everyone on this show is a lot better than me (even JG). But someone explain to me why you would re-raise with a straight flush...

It obviously worked, because Sammy called the reraise by DB...but it would never cross my mind to reraise on the turn here. Someone help me with this one!

[/ QUOTE ]

You reraise because opponents can call with lots of big hands. They'll call (or reraise/go all-in) with a flush. They'll call with a set and probably go all-in on the river if the board pairs.

If you've got the nuts, bet it and let your opponents figure out how they can possibly call while drawing dead.

The hard part if figuring out how much to raise/bet with a hand as big as Benyamine had.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (11/26 - 500k buyin pt 4 - Spoilers all o

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I do not claim to be an expert...and everyone on this show is a lot better than me (even JG). But someone explain to me why you would re-raise with a straight flush...

It obviously worked, because Sammy called the reraise by DB...but it would never cross my mind to reraise on the turn here. Someone help me with this one!

[/ QUOTE ]

You reraise because opponents can call with lots of big hands. They'll call (or reraise/go all-in) with a flush. They'll call with a set and probably go all-in on the river if the board pairs.

If you've got the nuts, bet it and let your opponents figure out how they can possibly call while drawing dead.

The hard part if figuring out how much to raise/bet with a hand as big as Benyamine had.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, seriously. He'll call there even if he knows he's beat because he thinks he can stack him if the board pairs. I think Benyamine purposely bet such an amount so that Farha would do that.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:30 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (11/26 - 500k buyin pt 4 - Spoilers all over)

That makes sense...I see what you are saying. That's another reason I am watching those stakes instead of playing those stakes!

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That makes sense...I see what you are saying. That's another reason I am watching those stakes instead of playing those stakes!

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The lesson here is for any level. When you have a monster and your opponent is drawing dead on the turn. Either he has a big enough hand or draw to put more money in or he doesn't. If he doesn't, it matters little whether you bet the turn or river, he's folding. If he does, you want to give him 2 chances to put more money in. If he's on a draw and you wait until the river and his draw misses, you've left money on the table. If he has a vulnerable made hand and you wait until the river and a scare card hits, you've left money on the table.

When you have your opponent drawing dead or close to it on the turn and he bets into you, you should try to get more money in right then. It's how much money (as Dynasty said) that's the hard decision.