Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 12:36 AM

Default Turn and River Bluff

Main villain in hand runs at 15/10/2.69. I think pf is marginal either way, but sometimes I like just taking a flop in position here. Once we get to postflop, I figured this is a ten or QQ/JJ fairly often due to his action. What does everyone think, is this decent or is this huge spew?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP ($50)
<font color="#C00000">CO ($54.15)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($170)</font>
SB ($49.30)
BB ($81.90)
UTG ($9.40)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $1.75</font>, Hero calls $1.75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $1.25.

Flop: ($5.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($5.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $3.3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $9.5</font>, BB folds, CO calls $6.20.

River: ($24.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $17.95</font>
Old 11-20-2007, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Turn and River Bluff

You posted a big bluff yesterday as well. Maybe you're just posting those hands, but if you are making plays like this all the time, I think you're running big bluffs too much at NL50 where people don't like to fold. But maybe I don't bluff enough.

His line does look like, "oh, I missed the flop and don't want to cbet into 2 people." Then turn comes and "since nobody else bet, I guess I'll try my cbet now." So I don't mind the Turn raise. But then once he calls, I'm done. I don't know what he calls with on the turn that he folds on the river.

What hand are your trying to rep? AK you'd repop PF, and any K you'd have to bet on the flop with the draws. Even if his hand is only Tx or JJ, QQ, I don't see him folding it on the river after he called the turn. If he doesn't have a K, I don't think that he buys that you'd play a K like that.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:56 AM

I think honestly from his perspective as we have almost no history I could be repping any set other than KK. I only do this about once a session, maybe twice, but I like to review them each time I do it, whether they work or not. I realize Im not really repping much though other than the sets but Im unsure if villain is even decent enough to know that. His hand looked like it was scared to me so I jumped on it. After the turn raise I thought it was probably too small so I figured he could be calling the turn with the same hands he would bet with hoping I check behind river. Maybe I bluff too much though.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:09 AM

At first I thought his range was a quite wide here but now it def looks like QQ-JJ, as most air (Tx, SCs) would have c-bet that flop as its perfect for c-betting.

Repping sets is hard, I've tried it once or twice against tags and got called to the river. I think you would have been better off repping the K by betting the flop. Betting turn if he checks again, and shoving river if he checks again and you think he is capable of laying it by then.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:10 AM

Honestly you rep a poorly played TT[as in didn't cbet this flop IP] or an overplayed AT, the latter of which doesn't bomb the river. Checking behind this flop 3 way with a set isn't "tricky" it's just FPS that's going to end up losing
you money. I think u get looked up by AT/Kx.

If he folded, the only reason is because you had the best hand on the river and he whiffed his draw most likely.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:12 AM

Would you really check behind on drawy flop with 55 or 66? But I can see playing TT like you did. I doubt villain is thinking that much, though, and he prolly isn't going through the hand trying to put you on a range based on your line, and then calling you down because he thinks your line looks fishy. Maybe you're right, and he does call the Turn raise because it's not so big and hopes you let him showdown cheap. Horrible for him to call turn raise and not be committed to calling river bet, but prolly not unusual.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:43 AM

He doesn't cbet on this board into two people--he could be waiting for a safe turn or trying to keep the pot small or seeing what both of you do or slowplaying. Be sure you are telling a good story when you bluff. Have you taken similar lines with sets on a board like this before? Do you check the flop behind with TT? Flop check/turn raise in position just looks weird to me here, like maybe QJ picked up outs or you hit your two outer. Is this a regular who you don't mind spewing to here to set up future stacks? I'm a curiousity caller to odd lines so I'd look you up here (maybe even with AQ if I decided to peel turn) to see what the hell you are doing.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:52 AM

this might be okay v. nonthinking opponents. i think that most nits will fold QQ/JJ on the turn though. as you move up though, think about what you're repping (other than TTT, not really much lol).