Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Re: hiring a maid

I have thought about doing this for years but it's just me and my wife and we have a small place. we are fairly neat but things can get messy if we are both real busy at work. anyone have any recs for bklyn services?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Al, pj,

Let me know if either of you want to call my people. Like I said, they've been doing my place for eight years and have probably been going to my friend's for fifteen. I'd leave my daughter with them without a second thought, they are as trustworthy as anyone can be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not enough imo.

"So let me get this straight, mom and pop move into the city, establish trust from the neighborhood FOR 48 YEARS and then take off with Jerry's sneakers! Well, I think I've had enough of this."
Old 10-15-2007, 08:18 PM

If you want someone to clean when you are at work (which, I have to say, is VERY nice...nothing like coming home to a clean house at the end of a long work day), just make sure you get someone bonded. You'll pay a bit more, but the bond covers things like employee theft. Also, on the one or two times I've been home while someone was cleaning, I've felt kind of uncomfortable. I find it odd to sit on my comfy couch while someone (usually someone significantly older than I am!) cleans the place. Check with the office manager on their policies for protecting the customer's keys.

If you're at home all day and will not be giving out your key, I'd probably hang a sign at a local college offering somewhere around 12-15 bucks an hour for whatever I wanted done.

I've never had laundry done. The service we have changes the sheets and put them in the hamper, vacuum, dust, clean bathrooms and kitchen, load the dishwasher and run it, do all the floors, that kind of thing.

One thing if you go with a service: it will probably not be the same people every time, so if you are particular (don't want certain cleansers used, for example) leave a sign every time.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:54 PM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.

[ QUOTE ]
I have thought about doing this for years but it's just me and my wife and we have a small place. we are fairly neat but things can get messy if we are both real busy at work. anyone have any recs for bklyn services?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah, yeah I gave you Molly Maid reccomendation like 2 years ago.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:40 AM

The best places to get good maids are places where illegal aliens work. They are alwaysw looking for extra money (and if the one you ask isn't, she will have a friend that is), and they will do a WAY better job than a US company or a US resident girl (unless you find some teenager to slavedrive).

This is a 100% no brainer. Tell them what you want done and it will get done. Deal wiht some US cleaning company and it's 'we dont' do windows' we don't do heaving cleaning' bla bla
Old 10-21-2007, 06:53 AM

i'd suggest you at least make the effort to take care of as many things as possible and only use the maid for the serious stuff (like say, cleaning your shower, etc).

i, like you, (i live in cr) had a full time maid that did everything. i didn't so much as throw things i'd eaten next to my computer in the trash below my desk because i'd crumple the foil and put it to the side and she'd put it in the wastebin before i bothered to do it. bed made, laundry never ever close to running out, everything smells nice, etc. was great until i had to fire her and realized i'd degenerated back into exactly what i was when i moved out of my parents (non independent slob).

but yeah, i'm not going to say it's better to spend a couple hours wiping down your counters and cleaning out your toilet instead of grinding it out online or whatever the hell you do with your time if its worth more than the maid charges, just suggesting you at least make an effort to take care of as many things as you can and outsource as little as possible [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]