Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Taking a shot at 100nl - was this really so bad?

So this happened about a month ago. I felt I was playing well at the moment, so I decided instead of opening a 4th table at 50nl, I would open a table at 100nl. My bankroll was just over 1k at the time. My winrate at 50nl was 8.7bb/100 over a 40k sample size. I have watched some games at 100nl, and feel I am capable of winning.

I decided I would take a 1 buy in shot at 100nl on this table. I have not datamined 100nl, so I would have no tracker info on any of the players. If I lost the buyin I really wouldn't care, so it's not like I'm playing with scared money. Regardless whether I win or lose at 100nl, my primary game is 50nl, and I will be playing there until I decided to move up for good.

How I did wasn't really important, but a friend of mine, also a 2+2 he is a 1/2 reg, chewed me out about bankroll management.

Another 1/2 freind of mine who is also a 2+2 reg, suggested I post this is micro, SS, and BBV.

So, is taking a one buyin shot at 100nl that bad? should I really be that concerned?
Old 04-01-2007, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Taking a shot at 100nl - was this really so bad?

Its not necessarily bad but I would personally want more than 1k to do it. 1k is minimum amount to play 50NL with comfort. I would say 1.3-1.4k is where I would consider taking this shot to begin datamining and get a feel for the game.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:59 PM

its your bankroll, who cares?
Old 04-01-2007, 11:01 PM

I'm a big bankroll management guy, but if you're confident you're a winner at 50NL and you'll still have ~20BI for that level, I think its ok. Tons of high stakes players got there because they just took a shot one day, ran hot, and never looked back.

Really, the most critical thing is to make sure your shot doesn't make you underrolled for your current level. Then, as long as you're comfortable with your play, go for it.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:25 PM

If you were a big winner at 50 nl, then this shouldn't be a problem. But something doesn't add up. Why would your bankroll be still around 1k if you were crushing 50 nl? I assume you cashed out, and can replenish your funds then. So that's not really that bad.

Keep in mind that the 20 buyin rule is intended for people who are planning to stay at that level without having to drop down save for a large downswing. If you're willing to move down, you can do with less.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:45 PM

The key here is what is your "bankroll" used for??? How do you define your "bankroll"...

What I mean here is:
-Can you replenish your BR should you lose and then go on a down swing??With a "BR" of 1K for $50NL that not too much of a downswing before you should move down...
-Do you live off of your BR or is it just for extra spending money??
-Are you disciplined enough to move down to $25NL should you lose a few buy-ins at the $50 tables..

Some other rational thoughts that can be used to justify "a Shot"
-Are you working off a bonus????
-Do you have a pending RB payment??? If so how much???
Old 04-02-2007, 12:07 AM

I believe taking shots is part of the game so-long as you have a sufficient BR at your current level (sufficient being your BR is not replenishable). I know when I first got into online poker I would deposit $50 and sit at 2 $25NL tables. I burned through a bunch of deposits real quick - haha.

In all honesty, if you're comfortable with moving up and playing one table at a higher stake then don't let anyone else tell you differently. You have more than a sufficient winrate at 50NL to make back a buy-in should you lose it. Just make sure you drop back down in the event you lose the $100. You don't want to tilt off your entire BR at the higher limits.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:10 AM

no
Old 04-02-2007, 12:55 AM

what is a 1/2friend
Old 04-02-2007, 03:30 AM

If you have the discipline only to lose $100, and you are a winning player at $50NL, I don't see the problem. Trying to catch back up at $100NL after losing 3 BI's would be a big problem. I myself don't feel comfortable taking a shot at the next level anymore without at least 27 BI's for that level, I.E. $2700 for $100NL. But I really suck when I'm on tilt, and have had a couple 5-10 BI downswings already.