Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 09:50 AM

Default Re: I make a play

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but what does he think i have when i raise that turn? is he feeling good about his stupid little AJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
this is not to suggest we do totally stupid random-aggro stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

lol wtf

[/ QUOTE ]

what is it that you do not understand? my hand looks EXACTLY like a set, and this guy knows it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're coldcalling with 44 and 22? I don't see how he can fold any Ace, and that's what his hand looks like. He could weirdplay like 88-KK in that fashion I guess. I still think you should fold to his donk which says I have K7 beat and am showing down.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but what does he think i have when i raise that turn? is he feeling good about his stupid little AJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
this is not to suggest we do totally stupid random-aggro stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

lol wtf

[/ QUOTE ]

what is it that you do not understand? my hand looks EXACTLY like a set, and this guy knows it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're coldcalling with 44 and 22?

[/ QUOTE ]

and probably 77 after there is already 1 coldcall.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:46 AM

I'd feel ok about this play if you had said that you're playing very straight forwardly and had not been caught bluffing or doing random aggro stuff. Once you've established the air of distrust as you noted I think you should be more betting for value and do less bluffing. I don't see how this move will work since you've established that you and the villain are pushing hard against each other unless you really think you've established 3rd or 4th level thinking (ie. I know he knows I know).
Old 08-28-2007, 11:58 AM

Honestly I was going to say I hated it at first. The thing is I would never expect you to actually coldcall here with 22/44 (I think it is pretty bad) but in the heat of battle I could easily see me convincing myself that you must have a set and folding an A. That said I'd still have to be in the right mood to fold here. If I'm losing I could convince myself to make a stupid calldown. If I'm winning I could be feeling invincible. However if I'm losing even more I might just frustration muck and if I'm winning even more I might genius muck. Basically I can see this working but I don't know if it will work often enough.

I just fold preflop though, that's the easiest and most profitable way to play this hand imo.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:19 PM

i think play is fine and it is nearly impossible for anyone who doesnt know how you read each other to give appropriate input, i think its probably break even because experts can fold but more difficult with history - in theory, if you knew villain was an expert but had no history i think the play is brilliant
- do you fire river if he calls turn, or give up on it assuming he is calling down and it isn't worth the 10% we need a fold or whatever...
Old 08-28-2007, 12:21 PM

I would expect most good players to call the turn and raise the river here if they actually had a set. No chance I am folding AJ here if I donk the turn like that
Old 08-28-2007, 05:08 PM

So you found a spot where your hand looks like a set and you made a bluff. I cant imagine an ace ever laying down against someone he specifically knows is more likey to make moves agaisnt him. Non ace hands dont really make a lot of sense for him (unless he is on a bluff himself).

If he folded, I would expect that he had no pair.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:13 PM

i'm sure everyone has said it, but nobody is folding an ace.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:25 PM

Two problems with this play as I see it:

You are trying to move him off a pair of aces in a fairly large pot.

You are trying to bluff someone who has an air of distrust with you.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:49 PM

oh yeah good point JV i meant to say that after reading the OP. you preface by saying that you guys always try to "outplay" each other and then you're trying to represent a specific hand (set, lol) to move him off a pair of aces? this has to be a joke post.