Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 05:15 PM

Default A9 OOP calldown on AJ627 board against LAG BTN opener

5-handed.

Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and covers.

BTN is 31/22/5.2(1.8k) with 47% won when saw flop and 37% att to steal. He has 94BB.

My read is that he is floaty, bluffy, super aggro, and only has the bet pot button; no other bet sizes used.

Will pot any flop whether OOP or IP and whether PFR or cold-caller. 36/29 on the BTN.

I've seen him make a retarded bluff-shove on the river against another LAGtard with complete air (which wasn't even a draw on the flop nor the turn).

Will call 3bets light and float and bluff in 3bet pots, especially in position. I've been experimenting with less 3betting OOP against villains like that. I usually fold this as I'm supernitty OOP but figured it is way ahead of his opening range (probably a mistake though).

2 folds, BTN raises to 3.5BB, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7.5BB)

Hero checks, BTN bets 7.5BB, Hero calls.

Turn 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (22.5BB)

Hero checks, BTN bets 22.5BB, Hero calls.

River 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (67.5BB)

Hero checks, BTN shoves for 60.5BB, Hero calls.

Basically I decided to call him down on the flop and went ahead with my plan (tanking on every street to feign weakness). If you fold, which street do you fold at?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Re: A9 OOP calldown on AJ627 board against LAG BTN opener

3-bet pre, he has all kinds of crap on the button and even if he's calling a lot of 3-bets A9s is not a bad hand, stack off if you make TP. Also if you 3-bet pre you're not getting into tough spots like this, I'd call down against this villain though.

Don't 3-bet only if he's 4-betting very light, because with A9s you just can't profitably continue then.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:19 AM

I don't see how I can 3bet this profitably against that villain. He really gives me trouble in 3bet pots as he just won't go away and I will make TP fairly rarely and even then will be behind every so often.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how I can 3bet this profitably against that villain.

[/ QUOTE ]

learn how to play a RR pot?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how I can 3bet this profitably against that villain.

[/ QUOTE ]

learn how to play a RR pot?

[/ QUOTE ]I think it's easier said than done.

I'm really struggling with those, especially OOP, especially against LAGgy villains.

I don't do any second barrel (-shoves) with overcards, because I feel I'll get called down really light. I barely do bluff checkraises all in; again as I feel I'll get called down really light. I don't bet-call with stuff like AK unimproved.

Basically when I miss and flop is low cards I become a complete fish who either check-folds flop or cbets flop and check-folds turn.

I played a hand against the same villain as in this hand where he was the 3bettor and checkraised all in on a low flop and I figured he was bluffing and called with AQ. He had AK.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:00 AM

Of course it's easier said than done, but the best way to learn is through experience.

So if you know that a good player will 3bet with a certain hand, work on doing the same until you are sure that you're playing it profitably too.

No one was born playing perfectly.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:01 AM

luego in his well suggested not even 3betting AQ OOP; I'm not sure A9s is the right hand to practice 3betting OOP with as it doesn't do that well even against a LAGtard's calling range.

But I'm thinking of maybe moving down a few levels and practicing some LAG play.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:49 AM

Against stupid villains like this, you really don't have to 3 bet pf here. You can just play straightforward and just nit it up post and let him hang himself. If you are 3 betting pf, you are hoping that he folds when you miss. And with this guy I doubt that's going to happen.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Against stupid villains like this, you really don't have to 3 bet pf here. You can just play straightforward and just nit it up post and let him hang himself. If you are 3 betting pf, you are hoping that he folds when you miss. And with this guy I doubt that's going to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]That's exactly what I thought. So do you like the calldown on this board?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:09 AM

you made your read and went with it... don't post on 2p2 looking for us to comfort you if your read went sour... fact of the matter is, the way you played this hand was completely read dependent.... and from the sound of your read it was played really well.

If it didn't turn out for you either your read wasn't great or villain just got lucky with some good cards.