Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 04:04 PM

Default 1-2nl live how can I play this differently??

1-2nl i'm in mid-position at a really weak table with 2 good players maybe. Guy to my left has lost a couple big pots with one pair and overbets the pot big with top pair and always cont bets big. He calls the pot as does 5 other limpers. Flop comes Q 10 6 two diamonds. Checked to me I threw out a 10 dollar bet (not trying to scare anything away but understanding flush and straight draws will call). Guy to my left raises to 35 folded around to me and I make it 75. He calls. Turn is a J not diamond. I check thinking there is no way he has a straight but I want to slow this pot down. He throws out 100 and has another 150 behind and I have him covered. I thought about it for about 10 seconds and hoped he had two pair and threw it in and he insta-called with KQ off to hit a straight on the river.

How can I play this hand differently, should I keep the pot small until the end when I know im obviously beat or is getting my money in ahead the thing to do here? I was pretty certain I was good here and thought for sure he had QJ.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Re: 1-2nl live how can I play this differently??

I assume you have a set but you didn't mention your cards. You played this fine. You got all your money in ahead, be happy.

[ QUOTE ]
I check thinking there is no way he has a straight but I want to slow this pot down.

[/ QUOTE ] Assuming you have a set, you want the money in ASAP. Don't try to "slow this pot down".
Old 10-27-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume you have a set but you didn't mention your cards. You played this fine. You got all your money in ahead, be happy.

[ QUOTE ]
I check thinking there is no way he has a straight but I want to slow this pot down.

[/ QUOTE ] Assuming you have a set, you want the money in ASAP. Don't try to "slow this pot down".

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry.... limped with 66
Old 10-27-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How can I play this hand differently, should I keep the pot small until the end when I know im obviously beat or is getting my money in ahead the thing to do here? I was pretty certain I was good here and thought for sure he had QJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting your money in ahead is the thing to do in all hands. That flop 3bet is tiny and needs to be larger. You'll still get paid off by a draw 1/2 live is good for things like that.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:40 AM

One of the things I've recently learned is that at 1/2NL live if you've got a strong hand and you're deciding between ramming and jamming or slowing down, err towards ramming and jamming.

These players significantly overvalue their hands, so if you've got something good make them pay.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1-2nl i'm in mid-position at a really weak table with 2 good players maybe. Guy to my left has lost a couple big pots with one pair and overbets the pot big with top pair and always cont bets big. He calls the pot as does 5 other limpers.

Flop comes Q 10 6 two diamonds. Checked to me I threw out a 10 dollar bet (not trying to scare anything away but understanding flush and straight draws will call). Guy to my left raises to 35 folded around to me and I make it 75. He calls.

Turn is a J not diamond. I check thinking there is no way he has a straight but I want to slow this pot down. He throws out 100 and has another 150 behind and I have him covered. I thought about it for about 10 seconds and hoped he had two pair and threw it in and he insta-called with KQ off to hit a straight on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, try to present your post better. It makes it much more likely you'll get useful feedback.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting your money in ahead is the thing to do in all hands. That flop 3bet is tiny and needs to be larger. You'll still get paid off by a draw 1/2 live is good for things like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah try to get as much money as possible in here... you basically minraised him.