Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2006, 04:31 PM

Default Questionable play in 10k guaranteed

I was chip leader of my table with about 2500 when avg is like 1600. 3 limpers to me, I limp in for 30 with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for 20 in late position. Button limps in and SB bumps it up to 140. Every limper calls to me so I call figuring multiway my hand is good. Button calls.

Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB(preflop raiser) checks which leads me to believe he's got over cards or else he'd try to defend his hand as opposed to letting us see a free flush. It checks to me and I put 400 into a 800ish pot. Button pushes for 800 more. It folds to me. I'm thinking that the only hands that beat me are a set or 76s because a higher pair would have reraised pre. I have no knowledge of this player's style because this is like 20 minutes into the tournament and there wasnt much action yet. I decide to call,hoping to hold up against either two overs, a flush draw or possibly an underpair. He shows A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] which was something I didnt anticipate. He rivers his spade and I bust down to like 1000.

Do you think I played this correctly, should I have folded to the push, do you think I should have checked my hand on the flop, should I have folded pre?

Thanks for your help.
(BTW, this is my first post on these boards, be gentle. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Old 10-21-2006, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Questionable play in 10k guaranteed

Predlop is fine, flop i'd bet alil less maybe 300. button's range here is 88,99, a 7,76s, set, straight draw, or flush draw. after u bet 400 and got raised another 800 u have to call because you're calling 800 to win 2400 so youre getting 3-1 odds here, and you're hand might be good. This is not the kind of flop you're looking for though when you play 87s and you got to be careful not to get trapped vs a better hand. you want to try and keep the pot as small as possible

btw welcome to the forum.