Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 04:10 AM

Default Re: Documentaries

[ QUOTE ]
This hasn't been mentioned as far as I can tell, I payed attention to most of the posts...

Planet Earth, the Discovery channel's documentary on wildlife. They edited thousands of hours of filming over several years to collect the entire series. Totally awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should've paid more attention. Yeti mentioned it ages ago.

I believe they (Discovery channel) only gave some money to the amazing BBC guys who did the actual work.

Besides the Discovery version has reportedly been cut/edited for commercials and it has Sigourney Weaver (blasphemy!) as narrator instead of David "the god himself" Attenborough.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Corporation is one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. It's just anti-capitalist fluff. A bunch of random scary music, qoutes taken out of context, and poorly constructed arguments about why every corporation is evil. In almost every example they give, you can make a much better case for placing the blame on fascist/corporatist governments than the corporations they're trying to vilify.

The qoute from Michael Moore at the very end is just priceless for it's hilarious logical fallacies and contradictions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to expand on this in any way? I just don't see it at all. How do you place the blame on government for the monsanto example?

Also, what fascist government are you trying to place the blame on? The US government?

Google video is not co-operating at this moment but I don't see the logical fallacies or contradictions of micheal moore's statement at the end. Care to explain it to me?
Old 11-05-2007, 07:02 PM

I saw New York Doll on cable a couple of weeks ago, and would recommend it. It's about New York Dolls bassist Arthur "Killer" Kane, his struggle with drugs and alcohol, and his conversion to Mormonism.

Whenever a movie combines punk rock and Mormonism, hilarity is sure to ensure, and this one doesn't disappoint. The climax of the movie is a Dolls reunion concern (featuring David Johansen, aka Buster Poindexter) where Kane wears a glammed-out costume supposedly inspired by Joseph Smith.

For all the laughs, though, the movie is pretty inspiring, and the ending is both unexpected and touching.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a link of good (free) onine documentaries covering several subjects:

http://best.online.docus.googlepages.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

Another vote for this site. I highly recommend 'The Ascent of Man' & 'The Century of the Self'
Old 11-12-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Corporation is one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. It's just anti-capitalist fluff. A bunch of random scary music, qoutes taken out of context, and poorly constructed arguments about why every corporation is evil. In almost every example they give, you can make a much better case for placing the blame on fascist/corporatist governments than the corporations they're trying to vilify.

The qoute from Michael Moore at the very end is just priceless for it's hilarious logical fallacies and contradictions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to expand on this in any way? I just don't see it at all. How do you place the blame on government for the monsanto example?

Also, what fascist government are you trying to place the blame on? The US government?

Google video is not co-operating at this moment but I don't see the logical fallacies or contradictions of micheal moore's statement at the end. Care to explain it to me?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be happy to explain my thoughts on this, but it would likely cause a major thread hijack. Let's start a new thread or PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:49 PM

"The Origin of AIDS" is very good/interesting. It's only a theory as to where AIDS started, but seems to be very likely.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...08240067690637
Old 11-12-2007, 06:17 PM

The True Story of Killing Pablo

Not to be confused with the upcoming film, this documentary is truly fascinating.

A Jail in Colombia -

A look inside the La Modelo prison in Bogota. Colombia. Called a "model" prison by Colombia officials the prison in reality is controlled more by the prisoners than the guards. With 5000 prisoners for 2400 spots, and not more than 150 security guards assigned to the prison. The prison is awash in violence, and drugs. Last year, 162 prisoners were killed there. The prison is controlled by three criminal groups: members of the guerrilla movement, paramilitary forces, and cocaine traffickers. They have broken the prison up into three different territories and each group has it's own security forces, defending it's own territory.

This was incredible and actually caused the prison to be closed by President Uribe.

Jail Documetaries - There seems to be one or more of these on every night and I never get tired of watching them.
Hour long documentaries of different prisons in the US.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:42 PM

Nominated for an Oscar in 2006, Street Fight is one of the most gripping political documentaries I have ever seen. It tells the story of a young, black, Rhodes Scholar, Cory Booker, challenging longtime Newark, NJ mayor Sharpe James in 2002.

This is old-time machine politics at its best/worst. If you are interested in politics, you should check it out. It was just released on DVD and is available on netflix.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nominated for an Oscar in 2006, Street Fight is one of the most gripping political documentaries I have ever seen. It tells the story of a young, black, Rhodes Scholar, Cory Booker, challenging longtime Newark, NJ mayor Sharpe James in 2002.

This is old-time machine politics at its best/worst. If you are interested in politics, you should check it out. It was just released on DVD and is available on netflix.

[/ QUOTE ]

Second this one. I used to live in Newark and still follow the politics and, while some of the stuff in this movie may seem over the top, it's absolutely true.

Interesting fact: until Cory Booker, every Newark mayor streching back to 1962 has been indicted on federal corruption charges.

Great film.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:32 AM

The Day The Universe Changed- by James Burke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj9OB...eature=related

I love all his documentaries, but this one helped open up my mind when i was young and dumb.