Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 09:28 PM

Default perma ban

Hi, I was wondering if I could have this IP address perma banned from 2 plus 2. Probaly the wrong place to post this. Ban me if it is or isn't. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:44 PM

Default Re: perma ban

[ QUOTE ]
banthis!

[/ QUOTE ]

OK

Edit/MH: This is alleged serial scammer Longtrail099, oneouterson, Robbiekid5, thechinacat, etc.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit/MH: This is alleged serial scammer Longtrail099, oneouterson, Robbiekid5, thechinacat, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a point of policy why was he not IP banned sooner?

Please elaborate beyond simply saying that 2p2 likes to stay out of these issues; but rather give your justifications for not banning repeat scammers who repeatedly use the twoplustwo platform to steal from members of the community.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-04-2007, 12:27 AM

Feej,

Probably because they don't IP check every new user against previous accounts and only upon banning him did they notice the duplicity? That's my guess anyway.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Feej,

Probably because they don't IP check every new user against previous accounts and only upon banning him did they notice the duplicity? That's my guess anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tul,

You're pretty smart.

Regards,
--jman220
Old 08-04-2007, 01:17 AM

I'm still confused. If the mods were to permaban a scammer wouldn't that mean that he could not create a new account/make a new post under that same IP address?

If that were the case why would the mods need to check someone's IP address upon banning when they could simply black that person from registering in the first place
Old 08-04-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a point of policy why was he not IP banned sooner?

Please elaborate beyond simply saying that 2p2 likes to stay out of these issues; but rather give your justifications for not banning repeat scammers who repeatedly use the twoplustwo platform to steal from members of the community.

Thanks,
Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve,

I do not think you completely understand the complexities of the tubes that power this internet.

Joe Scammer will have many, many IP addresses assigned to him because BigName ISP has far fewer IP addresses than customers. I will let you work out the optimal business solution to that problem but will inform you that the resolution allows Joe Scammer to potentially have access to the same addresses as Jane SuperPoster, provided they have the same BigName ISP. How to ban Scammer but not SuperPoster? Solve this and then you are truly a master of the tubes.

J
Old 08-04-2007, 01:33 AM

Also mods can't ip ban.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still confused. If the mods were to permaban a scammer wouldn't that mean that he could not create a new account/make a new post under that same IP address?

If that were the case why would the mods need to check someone's IP address upon banning when they could simply black that person from registering in the first place

[/ QUOTE ]

IP banning (as opposed to just normal permabanning of an account) is only done in extreme cases, because (as is discussed above), more than one person can have the same IP.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I do not think you completely understand the complexities of the tubes that power this internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

please to be explaining the tubes, how do you become a tube master?