Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Old 11-29-2007, 04:14 AM

Default Re: explosion of coaching site spam and the fact? that mods are involv

I brought this up when the "Best MSNL coaches" thread was started. I thought it was probably not kosher, I was convinced otherwise. The cat is out of the bag basically, people have been discussing 3bet and LP coaches freely. We have coaches talking about what they do, we have people recommending coaches to one another. Either you just let this stuff fly completely or just crack down and refuse to allow anyone to mention anything related to coaching. I don't think the latter is unreasonable, it's just that these are our two options.

Allowing stupid loopholes like "url in profile only" and whatever just leads to people finding ways around loopholes. "Not coaching" in location, LP avatars, I mean come on. People aren't stupid, we aren't running a kindergarten here. Either we have a strong message that you have to pay to advertise, or have others advertise, your services around here, or we just let it all loose.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:16 PM

discussions of the best coaches for your buck is similar to talking about which site has the best fish, lowest rake ect. Allowing people to have those avatars is similar to allowing a poker site to post threads about how awesome they are, which is considered spam.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
discussions of the best coaches for your buck is similar to talking about which site has the best fish, lowest rake ect. Allowing people to have those avatars is similar to allowing a poker site to post threads about how awesome they are, which is considered spam.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. It's a fine line to say that aejones or MDMA or whoever else isn't allowed to put "Coaching" in their location, but it's ok to have a long thread in which it is made quite clear that they are coaching. It's not like some random guy in OOT is going to see MDMA post something and be like "hmm coaching, I don't play poker seriously but this is appealing!"

It's people who probably already read MSNL that would possibly be influenced by such knowledge, so having a "Best MSNL coach" thread up on the front page isn't exactly going to go unnoticed by this particular demographic.

Moreover, it's hard to say that people who actually work for Legopoker/3bet/some other site can't spam/post URLs when all these people have a ton of friends who are willing to do it for them.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:58 PM

Moreover, it's hard to say that people who actually work for Legopoker/3bet/some other site can't spam/post URLs when all these people have a ton of friends who are willing to do it for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

BAN THEM ALL (serious biz)

I see where you are coming from but I think coaching is a bit different than o particular business like 3 bet or leggo. Its a fine line, but there is a distinction in my mind and one should be enforced severly and is important (the corporations) and the individual coaching services pimping can be enforced less strictly since that is super hard to define and make clear to users. But I just feel we should have a zero tolerance policy towards free advertising for businesses.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:02 PM

thats another thing that been bothering me.

most of these mod discussions it seems, is individuals voicing their opinion on how they would like the site to be run. When I mke an opinion I do it in the fram eof mind that I own 2+2 and what should I do to maximize profit long term. This is intro level economics/incentives stuff, but the inherent problems of being advised by a bunch of mods with zero ownership is clear to me and should be to the owners of this site as well(I hope).
Old 11-29-2007, 03:08 PM

I totally appreciate your perspective, and knowing how you think is helpful when I have money in mind. But it's not all about money. It's about providing a good experience, so everyone's perspective has value for us.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I just feel we should have a zero tolerance policy towards free advertising for businesses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this btw.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:12 PM

good experience = long term profits so yes I do consider that, its part of the total profits equation and is in fact, one of the most essential parts. Just wanted to make that clear.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:29 PM

Mat,

FWIW, the "coaches/business/whatever can't start threads about themselves, but discussion of them is fine if other people post questions" is one of the silliest 2+2 policies around.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:32 PM

How would you have it?