Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-23-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Do you want to have children?

[ QUOTE ]
There is not a single one I view as a positive.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. In 44 years I've never actually seen pure, unadulterated selfishness personified.

Congrats Henry, you're it.

Even the most selfish people I've met in my life had SOME redeeming value. You seem to have none.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:49 AM

If I had a child I would do those things because the child's needs would take priority over mine. But if I can avoid creating the need for those demands on my time in the first place then I'm not being selfish. You can't be selfish with respect to a non-being. I would only be acting selfish if I had the obligations and choose my own entertainment over the obligations.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:29 PM

You're arguing semantics, Henry. The reason you don't want children is because you are selfish. It's all about you. How your life will be affected, how it will be a burden to you, how bored you will be.

You have been told the positives. You've been told how positively life-changing children are, but you don't believe it. All you can see are the negatives, which of course there are, but we are telling you they are far outweighed by the positives. You simply refuse to see it. Why is that? Because you're selfish. You don't want to see it.

That's cool, man. You are who you are. And with your attitude, it's doubtful you'd make even a mediocre parent. You can justify it by semantics if you wish, and if it makes you feel better. But a spade is still a spade, even if you insist it's a shovel.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:54 PM

That isn't semantics. Unless I have a duty to breed, I'm not aware of, there is nothing selfish about my decision. The only individual impacted by my choice is myself. Which excludes the possibility of acting selfish.

[ QUOTE ]
You have been told the positives. You've been told how positively life-changing children are, but you don't believe it. All you can see are the negatives, which of course there are, but we are telling you they are far outweighed by the positives. You simply refuse to see it. Why is that? Because you're selfish. You don't want to see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it is because those things have no value to me. You fail to understand that preferences are not universal. Is the concept that certain people have different preferences that hard to grasp?

Many people devote hours to watching NASCAR. I can't stand NASCAR. If a NASCAR fan tried to convince me of the virtues and benefits of the sport and after considering it I still did not agree would you then maintain that I was simply refusing to see that the benefits of NASCAR outweighed the positives?

This is the problem with people who choose to have children. The impact a child has on their life is so big that they have to convince themselves that it is the greatest thing in the world to justify it. Then they can't understand why rational individuals would be able to make any decision other than having a child.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The impact a child has on their life is so big that they have to convince themselves that it is the greatest thing in the world to justify it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iīm pretty sure heīs saying they donīt "have to convince themselves".
Old 11-23-2007, 01:13 PM

The inability to see that parenthood is a choice with pros and cons and that some people might view the cons as greater than the pros is indicative of irrational behaviour similar to that found in religious fanatics and cults. They have self-deluded themselves to make their situation work.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many people devote hours to watching NASCAR. I can't stand NASCAR.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh man, not only are you attempting to alienate all parents in this thread, but now you've taken on every redneck on the planet as well! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
The impact a child has on their life is so big that they have to convince themselves that it is the greatest thing in the world to justify it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Henry, your worldview has been confusing me this entire thread, but this one takes the cake. Everything we parents have been telling you is the exact opposite of this. YOU are the one trying to convince himself. We need no convincing at all, we're experiencing it, and we pretty much unanimously agree. But then, I guess that's what those of us in a cult do, right?
Old 11-23-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The inability to see that parenthood is a choice with pros and cons and that some people might view the cons as greater than the pros is indicative of irrational behaviour similar to that found in religious fanatics and cults.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course they are irrational. The reason they put up with all the work and duties that come along with children is because they really really love them, and love is usually not a rational feeling. The same reason causes them to try and convince you that their children are a greater good for them than the "freedom" they would enjoy without them.

Thereīs no reason for you to think most of them are "talking themselves" into that feeling, though. Itīs pretty clear that it is in the nature of parenthood to be in love with ones children.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Henry, your worldview has been confusing me this entire thread, but this one takes the cake.

[/ QUOTE ]
He is being incredibly simple and easy to understand, imo. "I am rational and like to do things that are +EV, with regards to money, time, freedom, happiness, etc. After some deliberation, I am currently of the opinion that having children would be -EV for me"

And then you and others are trying to convince him that there are positives he's not seeing. Then he says he does see them and that his preferences tend elsewhere.

[ QUOTE ]
But then, I guess that's what those of us in a cult do, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They have self-deluded themselves to make their situation work.

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't it strange then that not one single parent has said they regret having children in this thread? Not one.

That means that EVERY SINGLE PARENT is delusional, or you're just talking out of your ass.

I choose the latter.