FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 09:41 AM

Default Re: random sports stats/facts that surprise you when you first hear th

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ben Gordon is the 9th best 3pt shooter in NBA shooter in NBA history if you go by 3pt FG%, 2nd only among active players to Steve Nash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jason Kapono doesn't qualify because he has too few scored/attempted or something? He's ahead of both.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he does qualify and hes 10th.

[/ QUOTE ]

NBA.com
Kapono Career 3 pt % = .459 (not counting 2 for 4 in playoffs)
Gordon Career 3 pt % = .418 (not counting .390 mark in playoffs)
Nash Career 3 pt % = .426 (not counting .419 in playoffs)

so no matter which way you look at it (Reg Season only or add in playoffs) there is no way Nash leads in active 3 pt shooters unless there is a 3P Made requirement (Kapono only has 230). But since you said Kapono does qualify your info is not correct (unless NBA.com is wrong).

[/ QUOTE ]

One of us is getting wrong info from a site. You may be right for all I know. I'm getting my info here:

http://www.basketballreference.com/l...tppct&lg=n

[/ QUOTE ]

Your website is only good to the START of last season. Your site says Ben Gordon has only played 2 years. He has played 3.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But Dilfer was and is terrible. His stats for that year are bad(12/11 TD/INT), like they are every year, because he's a bad quarterback who somehow managed to luck into a great situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just patent foolishness and a result of fantasyitis. Dilfer did a great job in a role that few QBs can handle. He only got to throw when the other team KNEW he was going to throw, i.e. 2nd and long, 3rd and long situations. Any freakin donk with half an arm can complete 60% in a west coast/run n shoot style offense.

IOW, there's more to QBing than throwing TDs.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:43 PM

Tim Couch is an active NFL quarterback.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But Dilfer was and is terrible. His stats for that year are bad(12/11 TD/INT), like they are every year, because he's a bad quarterback who somehow managed to luck into a great situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just patent foolishness and a result of fantasyitis. Dilfer did a great job in a role that few QBs can handle. He only got to throw when the other team KNEW he was going to throw, i.e. 2nd and long, 3rd and long situations. Any freakin donk with half an arm can complete 60% in a west coast/run n shoot style offense.

IOW, there's more to QBing than throwing TDs.

[/ QUOTE ]

true, but it seems neither of you are right. i think a lot of QBs would've succeeded playing that ravens' style, but i don't think dilfer was a 'horrible' quarterback either.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This is something I've wondered about. What is the highest % that a record holder has over the person (or team, whatever) that holds 2nd place in that particular category?

[/ QUOTE ]
In 2004 Barry Bonds was intentionally walked 120 times. The closest any Non-Barry Bonds (he has 2nd and 3rd place as well) is Willie Mac's 1969, which he had 45, or a 267% edge for Barry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Barry Bonds has 11 of the top 20 single season IBB totals of all-time!

The same year Bonds led the NL in IBB with 120, Ichirio led the AL in IBB . . . with 19. Thome was second in the NL with 26.

(The stat wasn't kept before 1955, so who knows how many times Ruth was IBBd (although probably not many, with Gehrig batting behind him after 1926.)
Old 08-14-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

(The stat wasn't kept before 1955, so who knows how many times Ruth was IBBd (although probably not many, with Gehrig batting behind him after 1926.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah and who knows how many times he was "unintentionally" intentionally-walked. I'm pretty sure pitchers pitched around Ruth quite a bit.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tim Couch is an active NFL quarterback.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, right now? Color me surprised.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is completely false. Even if Dilfer was put in difficult spots all the time, there are statistics that measure this, taking into account field position, down and distance. He would only be measured against league average in those difficult spots.

Guess what? Dilfer was still terrible in 2000.

-11.3 DPAR (37th in the NFL)
-24% DVOA (38th in the NFL)

He wasn't even as good as the man he replaced, Tony Banks, who was still bad but not as bad.

8.6 DPAR (27th)
-6% DVOA (28th)
Old 08-14-2007, 06:48 PM

A local meathead radio guy said this morning that Michael Vick is 47-49 as an NFL starter. This surprised me to the point that I think it's wrong. Can anyone verify this?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Re: random sports stats/facts that surprise you when you first hear them

Since Keenan McCardell was mentioned: 12th round draft pick. Of course there isn't even a 12th round anymore.

And since Christian Laettner was mentioned, apart from having been an All Star, he was also on the Olympic team.

Mike Piazza was a 61st round pick (allegedy only picked because he was Tommy LaSorda's godson).

Greg Maddux only won 20 games 2 times, but won 19 5 times and 18 twice.

Rickey Henderson arguably had a HoF career *after* breaking the all time stolen base record:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/henderi01.shtml

in 1990 Dennis Eckersley had more saves (48) than baserunners allowed (45). He had a .61 ERA/WHIP. Also might not be so surprising, but it's cool.

The Arizona Cardinals franchise has never won a playoff game. (lol, perhaps that's not so surprising). Until a few years ago the Saints were in that boat as well.

Tom Glavine has surrendered only 1 grand slam in 4300 innings. Mike Redmond is 21-48 against him (1075 OPS).

Charley " Old Hoss" Radbourne: In 1884 he pitched for the Providence Grays. They played 75 games. He started 73 of them, pitched a complete game in all of them, and saved the other 2. (678.7 IP with a 1.83 ERA, 441 K, 98 BB, 18 HR) I know baseball stats from that era can look insane, but this is on another level.