Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2006, 06:52 PM

Default Amount for a verbal raise in NL

I believe that this may have been discussed long ago, and there probably would have been a disagreement, but I can't find any posts about it.
This has come up a few times recently for me in live play and not always settled the same. I'm quite curious about what the actual ruling should be.

Player A makes a bet, lets say $55.
Player B says "$100".
It's that simple - what is the ruling on Player B's 'raise'?
Old 11-27-2006, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Amount for a verbal raise in NL

Usually, he is immediately by the dealer told that he needs to make it $110 (a full raise), to which the player follow suit with no problem, and it is no big deal. This happens all the time in NL cash games that I have been in, and it has never been a problem. Usually, it is just a simple error on Player Bs part, and is easily correctable with no need for floor involvement.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that this may have been discussed long ago, and there probably would have been a disagreement, but I can't find any posts about it.
This has come up a few times recently for me in live play and not always settled the same. I'm quite curious about what the actual ruling should be.

Player A makes a bet, lets say $55.
Player B says "$100".
It's that simple - what is the ruling on Player B's 'raise'?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends. Most commonlly it would be a raise to $110. A few palces it would be a call only. In a heads up situation it should be a raise to $100 (I wouldn't really count on getting that ruling).
Old 11-27-2006, 07:02 PM

Player B must make it $110. Minimum raise of $55.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:58 PM

doesnt it depend on wether this was preflop or post flop?

If you are playing 2/5NL and it's PF, then player B must reraise to a minimum of 105 since the increment of Player A's raise was 50 more than the Big Blind. Therefore, Player B must double the increment of the previous bet.

Post flop: If Player A is first to bet 55, then Player B must reraise to a minimum of 110.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:18 PM

Moded is correct, however; If for example the player said make it $100 in an attempt to raise, he would only be able to make the complete raise. He couldn't then say,"Okay, well then I'll just go all in for an addition $400."
The numbers are arbitrary, the fact is the player must make it a full raise at that point, no more no less.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:42 PM

I have seen it ruled a couple of ways...

Player B says "$100" = I raise $100 for a total bet of $150

and

Player B says "$100" = I minimum raise but cant count the amount of the first bet and will put in the additional chips for a total bet of $110

and...

Player B says "$100" = I meant to raise but the floor here doesn't care what my intent was and rules this as a call and I take back chips for a call of the $55 bet by Player A.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Usually, he is immediately by the dealer told that he needs to make it $110 (a full raise), to which the player follow suit with no problem, and it is no big deal. This happens all the time in NL cash games that I have been in, and it has never been a problem. Usually, it is just a simple error on Player Bs part, and is easily correctable with no need for floor involvement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. One place it is different is Hawaiian Gardens, where any short raise is corrected to a call (if there is floor involvement, and the floor knows the rules). They also require that the minimum raise be twice the amount of the total bet you are facing, rather than twice the last raise.

~ Rick
Old 12-01-2006, 11:52 PM

Player A says "$55"
Player B says "$56"

Does this follow the same as the other rulings?
Old 12-02-2006, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a heads up situation it should be a raise to $100 (I wouldn't really count on getting that ruling).

[/ QUOTE ]

Randy - I'm curious why this should only be a raise to $100 heads up....is that an old school thing?