Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Health Insurance?

Wasn't quite sure which forum to post this in but figured if I was unsure to at least pick one where I could get some serious replies. Thus, BBV/OOT most likely out of the question.

Well anyway, i'm 21 years old and about to be graduating college. When I turn 22 and am graduated from college I am no longer covered by my parents health insurance plan and sinec I don't plan on getting a 9-5 job right out of school i'm not sure what to do. Do alot of people go without health insurance here who play poker? Do you just pay for health insurance out of pocket? How expensive is it? I can manage something like $150-$200 a month or something but I have no idea what the range is.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Health Insurance?

Many people use www.ehealthinsurance.com or if you are a Sam's club member they offer relatively cheap health insurance.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:56 AM

Which state do you live in?

I just signed my Family up for Blue Cross/Blue Shield. 3 of us are covered at a $500 deductible...80/20 split for $325 a month. As a single guy, depending on location, I bet you could get in BC/BS during their enrollment period. They have a great website you can read up.

Good Luck
Old 03-28-2007, 10:48 PM

Health insurance does not protect your health. People with health insurance get sick or injured every day, in the same proportion as people without the insurance. It protects your bankroll or your assets. If you are age 21 and don't have much in the way of assets, then it could be that you can do without it. I'm embarrassed to say how many years I was without health insurance. It was many. When you are older and have a house, bank account, stocks, and other assets to protect, that's when you need health insurance.

We can't tell you a price, since it varies by your state, your medical history, your gender, and your age.

Do not listen to people who say that people without health insurance can bargain to pay less for care. That's olden times. These days, uninsured patients pay much more for the same services as an insurance company would pay. Your insurer gets a volume discount, as it were, and you often pay a small fraction of what the uninsured patient is billed. That's really the only reason why I would suggest a young person, with no great assets, might want to go ahead and get insurance. The uninsured patient actually subsidizes the care of the insured.

In some states after a certain age there are really no good options other than getting a job or marrying someone who has family insurance through their job. Maybe einsurance will work for you but it certainly didn't return anything reasonable for me. I would take such suggestions as "National Association for the Self-Employed" and einsurance with a huge grain of salt. These days, you really need to be part of a group plan, or your insurance plan probably isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

I hate to suggest it to a 21 year old but the best way to get good health insurance is to get married to someone with a great job with benefits. Works for me. That, or get your own great job with benefits, and we really really don't want to go that far, do we?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:04 PM

If you're in your 20's and have absolutely no medical issues, in good physical condition, are single, live alone, etc, is health insurance even necessary for you?
Old 03-29-2007, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're in your 20's and have absolutely no medical issues, in good physical condition, are single, live alone, etc, is health insurance even necessary for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

better safe than sorry. and from what ive seen, health costs will rock ur face if ur uninsured
Old 03-29-2007, 04:26 AM

I'm in the same boat as you Python. I just graduated college last spring. When I graduated I just went to ehealthinsurance (not sure of the exact site but I think it was this one) and found a good plan for me. I don't have dental and my plan covers me for only 50 bucks a month. So it's not that expensive at all. Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:12 AM

yes uhf23, but what does that cover though? I would want a health insurance plan similar to the one I have now which basically means if I break my leg or something i'm covered... I can go in to places for an annual physical/check up, if I need an eye exam so I can get new contacts i'm covered, etc... pretty sure $50 a month wouldn't cover all that, or am I wrong here.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:23 PM

Being you are young you can get by for most health care by going to community clinics. I used to use that all the time when I didnt have health insurance.