Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2006, 07:04 PM

Default \"Don\'t forget the dealer\" - WTF?

Playing 5/10 PLO at the Aviation Club in Paris. I don't remember the exact hand, but basically, it was me heads up vs another guy, and very little dead money. We got all in for about 1.5K each on the flop and tabled our hands, it was something like top two+SD for me, top two+FD for him. Turn is a flush card, but we fill up on the river and split. We talk about it a little bit as the dealer is collecting the cards, and I express my relief, when the dealer interrupts me: 'Excuse me sir.. don't forget the dealer [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]'.

W..T..F???? Hell, even if I win big it's up to me whether I want to tip. And I usually do, split pot or not. But 'don't forget the dealer'? WTF? I have never ever intentionally stiffed a dealer. Sometimes I get caught up in the excitement and forget, then several hands pass, and it's off my mind. Tough [censored] break. It happens, and while I think dealers deserve their tips, they don't deserve it enough to warrant asking for it.

Problem is, what am I gonna do? Antagonize a dealer? That can't be a smart thing to do, considering how much of your money passes through his hands. I know
I would be a little quicker to 'accidently' muck someones cards if I felt like it. There's plenty of room for dealers to screw you, even within the rules (especially in Paris where they have no cameras [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]). Similarly, there's plenty of room for them to make life a little easier for you, without being dishonest of course. That's worth a couple extra bucks to me.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:11 PM

Default Re: \"Don\'t forget the dealer\" - WTF?

[ QUOTE ]

Problem is, what am I gonna do? Antagonize a dealer? That can't be a smart thing to do, considering how much of your money passes through his hands. I know
I would be a little quicker to 'accidently' muck someones cards if I felt like it. There's plenty of room for dealers to screw you, even within the rules (especially in Paris where they have no cameras [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]). Similarly, there's plenty of room for them to make life a little easier for you, without being dishonest of course. That's worth a couple extra bucks to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

On principle alone I wouldn't be tipping him anymore for the rest of that session (meaning if he came back to the table a couple hours later I'd treat him like any other dealer). I also would have responded with a simple "I didn't" when he said that to you. I [censored] hate people that expect tips like that. I realize that its part of their wages, but they also realize that its not a mandatory thing. In this pot a tip wasn't called for.

Realistically, there's not much he can do to you, as long as you're careful. Protect your hand, and make sure you don't make any of those tiny errors that are often over looked.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:51 PM

I think everyone that has not played in this room shoudl avoid commenting on how far out of live this dealer was. In most places in the US the dealer would have been completely out of line; however, that is France and i have no idea what the customs are there.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:00 PM

I only tip out of pots I win, as a rule. I figure if I didn't make money on the hand, no reason the dealer should.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:05 PM

I don't care if he was out of line or not. I was talking about what my reaction would be in that situation. My comments stand. If its custom there for a player to tip in that situation, I don't give a [censored]. Until a place makes it a rule to pay the dealer after every hand, I reserve my right to tip or not tip WHENEVER THE [censored] I LIKE! (little Rounders homage there)
Old 08-27-2006, 10:21 PM

This is Paris; don't forget the dealer.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:51 PM

That's pretty classless.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:38 AM

You might have to chalk this up to it being a different custom in another country. I've tipped waitresses and bar girls in Europe and they get confused. Tipping isn't the same everywhere.

I'm very pro dealer. But if there's a dealer that says something like that, or says "nice hand", or gives me a speech about how he spends his tips on his kids, or how he only makes $4 an hour... he's cut off. There are too many good dealers that work hard and don't beg. They take their stiffs.

And if the dealer doesn't say thank you...he's cut off too. I'm not talking about if he forgets to say it once. But if he drops $1 after $1 for a down and never says thanks to anyone, he's cut off.

Thats the only thing I ask for. Do your job well, don't beg, and appreciate it when a player tips you.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:13 AM

.. and I'll say this for the 569th time. I tip. I play 1/2 NL and I tip a $1 every pot that's more than $20. I tip $2 if the pot is relly big (more than $120 or so).

... but, I don't like it. Because, as you said, the guy is basically a referee. The junior referee, to be sure. And I don't think there is any doubt that the guy/lady is human and their judgement is colored towards the good tippers in such matters, even if subconciously. it's a big problem, but I don't expect the system to change.

I've never had a dealer explicitly ask me for a toke (but I have played live maybe 75 times or so), but if I did, I will make this pledge: I will say "buddy, I tip every pot that isn't piddling, but just for that, I ain't tipping this one" and I'd tell the floor about it.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:06 AM

It could be European in nature to ask like that, but I'm not sure. When I played in Vienna at a simple little 3/6 table, I had a dealer flat out tell me I wasn't tipping her and neither was the player to my left. I am also pro-dealer, but was taken aback just a little at her assumption that she deserved to be tipped.