Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Mild chemical weapons OK for home defense?

[ QUOTE ]
omg... do you have any idea how incapacitating pepper spray or ammonia is? It will IMMEDIATELY blind you (temporarily) and make it impossible to breathe. You WILL NOT be thinking about money at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true if you get him in the eyes. what happens when a robber with a gun sees your dad pointing something at him? the robber draws his own gun and kills your dad.

what happens if your dad misses his eyes? On clothes or skin will leave plenty of time for robber to get to your dad and take him out.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They why ask a question that has already been addressed and answered?

[/ QUOTE ]because it was specified that it may vary state by state and no further clarification was given after OP stated he lived in cali.

but thanks for being the post quality police anyway.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They why ask a question that has already been addressed and answered?

[/ QUOTE ]because it was specified that it may vary state by state and no further clarification was given after OP stated he lived in cali.

but thanks for being the post quality police anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your reason doesn't make sense but the condescending comeback is excellent.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:55 AM

I have a 12 guage tactical shot gun, with pistol grip, and attatched flashlight on a hook behind my headboard. i like my idea better.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:06 PM

Does anyone have a lot of experience with ammonia? I have a minimal experience, but I have never experienced autoblindness/difficulty breathing, even if it got poured out next to me without mask/goggles or hood. This seems more likely to really piss of the bad guy than defeat him. Sorta like this:

http://www.time.com/time/todayspick/...100521,00.html
Old 07-11-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a 12 guage tactical shot gun, with pistol grip, and attatched flashlight on a hook behind my headboard. i like my idea better.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like your's better too.... it'll work great on those rats coming out of your toilet too...
Old 07-11-2007, 12:22 PM

Better be sure you win the fight if you indulge in this kind of very dirty war. If you don't, there will be hell to pay. How does your dad feel about being tortured for retaliation if things don't turn out his way?
Old 07-11-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have a lot of experience with ammonia? I have a minimal experience, but I have never experienced autoblindness/difficulty breathing, even if it got poured out next to me without mask/goggles or hood. This seems more likely to really piss of the bad guy than defeat him. Sorta like this:

http://www.time.com/time/todayspick/...100521,00.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Ammonia can hit you HARD if undiluted.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here's a good test: You have $10,000 in one hand and pepper spray in the other. I am going to try and take $10,000 from you even if you have pepper spray and use it on me. Do you think you will succeed a large amount of the time, even if I am unarmed?

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of odds would you give for a 10k bet where I got the pepper spray?

[/ QUOTE ]

How big are you, and how much "force" will you be allowed to use other then the pepper spray?

I've never taken a direct spray in the eyes, but I've been sprayed before and it wasn't all that bad. It makes you want to fall to the ground and cry, but it's nothing that's impossible to push through.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:50 PM

OK, sorry wasn't able to post right away. CA is the worst state for intruder laws. You can be successfully sued if someone is breaking in and falls through your skylight and is injured. Can only use force necessary to immediately protect life and physical attack, must retreat if possible, as soon as threat is negated must stop force, must use minimal force needed to repell threat, generally bad for home owners. Depends on locality for how they enforce it though, does he live in a city, small town? Generally, the thief could definitely sue if he had permanent damage, (by the way, this post won't help him if they find it). If the prosecutors were sure he continued to spray after the guy was disabled, and didn't render any first aid, would they bring criminal charges - depends on local DA, age of defendant, defendant's criminal record, what he, (the defendant), says to the police, his level of damage, your father's criminal record and the serious crime level in your father's neighborhood. I'm not saying it's definite or even likely, but it's possible - there is a lot of race politics in large CA cities that can come into these decisions. If he lives in LA itself, or one of the other largest CA cities, he would definitely be better getting a different deterrent.