Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Pokertracker for tournaments?

[ QUOTE ]
Even if they're in the same DB they keep them seperate? Awesome. I haven't played any tournies since I got PT last week.

Whats the point of making seperate DB's for different levels as I read I should do in one of the sticky's on here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose b/c different buy-ins could play differently. But you can always sort by buy-in the preferences tab (as well as limit vs. no limit) so it really isn't necessary.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:59 AM

Ah right. Thanks very much shermn [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it would be a good idea to have a different PT database for cash games and tourneys, as the aggressiveness seen in Tourneys towards the end would surely skew cash game stats.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you play both cash games and tournaments then you're correct that mixing the two together would be a problem. However PT already segregates hands/statistics from ring games and tournaments. If you use PAHud I'm reasonably certain that it does the same in retriving the stats. There isn't any reason to setup a seperate database or make other provisions to do this yourself.

Per Omaha's suggestion:
[ QUOTE ]
There is an excellent minicourse on what to look for in either the ssnl or msnl section, in the FAQS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a link for the one in ssnl that is pretty good. One thing to keep in mind is that good cash game play and good tournament play sometimes are not always the same. I scanned this quickly and didn't spot anything in this checkup that didn't seem okay for tournaments, but beware of the possibility.

In response to OP. I've used PT to do the checkup using the linked post as a guideline. Shermn27's suggestion is a good one since in tournaments you should generally be loosening up and getting more aggressive as it progresses.

But for the most part the process shouldn't be much different for using PT to find leaks than how I assume you use it for cash games.

Do a periodic (daily or post tournament?) review of hands that were big winners or losers. (Filter this by # of BBs instead of gross amount to account for changing blind levels.) Did you lose the big pot because you did something wrong? Could you or should you have gotten away from it before you had so much invested or was it a matter of your opponent hitting that 2 outer after the chips were in the middle? On the big pots could you have possibly won more? Did you win it because of mistakes your opponent made or because you made a mistake and hit the 2 outer yourself. If you sucked out could you or should you have avoided that? Critical review of big hands, regardless of outcome, will undoubtedly uncover leaks.

Personally I'm not nearly as diligent in using PT to check for leaks as I should be. But I use it a lot in conjunction with PAHud to help keep a pulse on what is happening. If I'm playing in multiple tournaments or multi-tasking in some other way it helps me keep track of not just other players, but also what my table image might be. Have I really just played 8% of the hands so far (maybe I could get away with a steal with trash cards since, apparently, that's all I'm getting anyway). Wow, I've raised 30% of the hands so far (if I catch a monster I'll bet I get played back at) and so forth. I filter by number of players to account for the difference in shorthanded play.

If you search MTT over the last year there have been at least a couple threads on PT/PAHud use in tournaments that might have other useful suggestions.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:35 AM

I'm not using PT for tournaments. I try to categorize my opponents as I play and base my actions upon current reads. While multi-tabling cash games, PT is pretty much a must-have, but I think your hand-reading abilities will suffer and develop much slower if you focus on PT stats while playing tournaments. Just my two cents...
Old 04-18-2007, 09:38 AM

Played my first tourney last night since i got PT (made the money, yay!) And I couldn't get the table to come through GT+.. Does PT work differently in Tourneys to Cash Games?
Old 04-18-2007, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not using PT for tournaments. I try to categorize my opponents as I play and base my actions upon current reads. While multi-tabling cash games, PT is pretty much a must-have, but I think your hand-reading abilities will suffer and develop much slower if you focus on PT stats while playing tournaments. Just my two cents...

[/ QUOTE ]
I find PT (or rather PokerOffice, but whatever) to be a nice tool when multitabling MTTs - I'm too old/crappy at multitasking to get reads on 4 tables simultaneously. Even with 3 tables, I like having PO up.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:17 AM

So my HUD should be reading the stats for the Tourney the same as Cash games?

I'm using GT+ and the Tourney wasn't even in the dropdown list.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:20 AM

GT+ doesn't work for tournaments, you can do what you want with PAHud though. It's a GT+ limitation, not a PT limitation.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:22 AM

Ah, thanks very much, Alpha!