Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: POLL TIME
ALLLLLLLLLLLL IN! 15 88.24%
ALLLLLLLLLLLL IN, j/k fold stupid 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2007, 02:43 AM

Default Re: New Radiohead album - Pay what you think is fair??

It's pretty clearly fundamentally irrational to pay for something you could get for free.
Arguments like this are really thin
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think Radiohead would be more or less likely to make another album if they earn $10mm from this one? What about if they earn $10k? If you like Radiohead, you have reason to pay.

[/ QUOTE ]
Firstly you could easily make an argument that they are more likely to release a new album if this bombs since they need to make money, but even assuming your premise is right. $100k in extra revenue might increase the probability of them releasing an album by 1% and that is a stretch. It is such a marginal return. It would make more sense to download this for free and buy a live cd or an old radiohead cd or pay for concert tickets, etc. if you wanted to give money back to the band. Even if you owned all there albums. It would mkae more sense to get this for free and buy a second copy of an album you already own.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:17 AM

I bought Hail to the Thief 4 times, mostly because my stereo kept getting stolen. Sorry to say it, but they owe me one.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People who pay for this are really dumb.
A) You can get it for free, so it is irrational.
B) If you felt like giving the money giving it to charity or something would make a lot more sense than giving it to Radiohead.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you think Radiohead would be more or less likely to make another album if they earn $10mm from this one? What about if they earn $10k? If you like Radiohead, you have reason to pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

but is there any reason to believe how much I decide to pay will have any significant effect on the amount of money radiohead receives for this album / how likely they are to make another record?

Given that there is no mechanism to link MY decision to that of others (at least for the most part), the answer is no. Which makes this line of thought moot.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Firstly you could easily make an argument that they are more likely to release a new album if this bombs since they need to make money,

[/ QUOTE ]
But you're missing the bigger picture. It may be true that Radiohead will be more likely to release an album in a traditional way if this bombs because they have an established fan base. But what this may lead to is a new method of distributing albums for up and coming artists.

Hypo: a waiter who is a part-time sculptor has his first exhibit. It bombs badly and he makes no money. Is he more likely to abandon sculpting altogether or quit waiting to be a full-time sculptor? You're saying that he's more likely to be a full-time sculptor.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
B) If you felt like giving the money giving it to charity or something would make a lot more sense than giving it to Radiohead.

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as I wont be paying for this album, Im not sure 'dumb' is a fair description.

There are a lot of things people do that are, from an economical sense, irrational, simply because there are non-economic reasons for doing it. If a person gets some emotional benefit from the knowledge of having payed for the album, then they will pay that amount. If they dont, they dont pay.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can get a lot of things for free, but in most cases it involves stealing them. I don't think it's irrational to not steal things. .. even if I did think that back in high school.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can get a lot of things for free, but in most cases it involves stealing them. I don't think it's irrational to not steal things. .. even if I did think that back in high school.

[/ QUOTE ]

falsest. analogy. ever.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:52 AM

CMI,
You are right in regards to dumb being an unfair description.

LowKey,
It's a good thing stealing has no downside.

Gus,
It is very unlikely this will lead to a new way of distributing albums. This seems like a gimmick by Radiohead to make a lot of money and people will be willing to pay one time, but when they realize they can get all the music/art/film they want for free they will likely stop paying.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:32 AM

alright, where can i steal this now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2007, 03:40 AM

What % of people do you think of people will pay something?

My first thought was 10%, maybe that's too low?