Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2006, 05:54 PM

Default Re: The Matching Up Thread I promised

I did overlook those questions Terry, thanks for the post.

1. I suppose it came pretty naturally after spending tens of thousands of hours playing pool you just "know". So as to not to leave you completely hanging I'll mention that you look for how they hold their cue, how they aim at the ball, their stroke and look for any intentionally exaggerated motions. The reasons most hustlers fail or get robbed after making their customes mad is that they don't know how to make skill look like luck. It is difficult but very necessary depending on the type of pool player you choose to become. Personally I rarely went looking for action, it came looking for me. Even though if I had been determined to be the hunter I play well enough left handed to trap most people so that would have been my method of disguise.

2. I think I answered most of this question above as well. In addition anyone that bets high enough has a reputaion. Keeping a secret in a pool hall is like surrounding a virgin teenage boy with hot naked chicks and expecting him to keep his hands to himself, it is not going to happen.

3. Actually my three businesses at the time were pretty much on auto-pilot. I had a neighborhood bar with long term reliable employees, it pretty much ran itself. Also owned a trendy three nights a week Yuppie live music club and had my head bartender manage it (big mistake by the way). My third was a small vending company, I owned all my own vending in my two joints and provided some stand alone video, pinball and tabletop video poker machines aroud the area, nothing but colllecting the cash in that one. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

3A. As far as word of mouth if you mean how did the action find me? Again I had money, a (false) reputation for being a loose gambler and had a home court where I could either be found or contacted 16 hours a day.

Any more questions anyone? I do appreciate all the interest in my stories from everyone reading them.

Jimbo
Old 04-30-2006, 05:57 PM

Thank-you MicroBob, I appreciate your input and your interest. ElDiablo gets the credit for pushing me over the edge to post a few stories so he is to blame him if I bore anyone. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jimbo
Old 04-30-2006, 06:06 PM

jimbo did you ever say what city or state most of these stories take place in?
Old 04-30-2006, 06:14 PM

How did you get the ball rolling in becoming a business owner? Did you study business courses in college?
Old 04-30-2006, 06:17 PM

These stories occur mostly in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I have some from Georgia, Mass, NJ, Texas, NM, Nevada, California, Florida, Miss, Mo and a few other States as well as some play overseas in Europe and the Middle East. I had one of only a handfull of privately owned pools table in Tehran as well.

Jimbo
Old 04-30-2006, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've got three good stories about geting weight when I could have been giving it I'll share sometime as well. One involves George Breedlove, Big John and Jeanette Lee.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definately want to hear this story. Please don't make me beg. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jimbo I'm thinking of starting a petition [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img], at least for one of them.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:52 PM

What are your thoughts on the film The Color of Money?

Obviously it's a worthwhile film but I suspect there are aspects of it that you find somewhat ridiculous...

probably not unlike 2+2'ers thinking Rounders was decent (although not as good as Color of Money) but that some of the play was a bit unrealistic.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:54 PM

Skeme,

I studied engineering in college. I became a Field Engineer for Raytheon, worked overseas for them as well as some Stateside. I saved a shitpot full of cash for working in Iran two years. After I transferred to a subsidiary company located in Tulsa doing oil exploration log analysis work I got laid off along with a zillion other engineers in the petroleum business when oil prices plummeted in the early 80's. So I went into the club business by accident really.

Jimbo
Old 04-30-2006, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Randy, I didn't know you had been in the game too, very cool. You are well rounded man.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

I am and have always been horrible at pool, but I used to collect cues, be a manager at a pool hall, and hang around with some of the better players in central Ohio.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:00 AM

Just want to say this is the best thread NVG has seen in a very long time, and I'd love to see you write a book about this stuff, Jimbo.