Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Shannon Shorr thinking of quitting ...

Read the thread.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

douchebag. <font color="white"> jk bro, you know I love you, don't quit poker </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, I didn't see the white part until I went to quote this. I thought that seemed out of character.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:56 AM

Mr. Shorr, I wish you all the luck. If you are good enough to make it in poker, I"m sure you are good enough to make it anywhere else. Ultimately, you have realized what I had realized quite early, that its probably best to play poker on the side.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:56 PM

Awesome post, Shannon. I wish you the best of luck getting back on track in poker and in finding the right balance in life. FWIW, my comment about frat boys was not directed at you or anyone in particular (obv I have no idea if you're even a part of that group). The group is lame as a whole, though.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Limping through November
November 11, 2007, 11:25 am by Shannon Shorr
It's been a while since the last update. I've been playing online tournaments pretty routinely the last week or so. In short, I've been getting killed. I don't think I made any final tables, and basically you have to do that to make money in online MTT. I have been running much worse than EV though, unfortunately. I've also dabbled in some HU NLHE cash. It started to go well, but things have turned sour in that department too. It's so sick how much NLHE has changed in the last year. I just haven't been able to adjust at all, I guess. Maybe things will turn around. Maybe they won't. I thought I had what it takes to play poker professionally, but I'm starting to doubt myself. One thing is for sure. This game isn't for the weak. All of you kids who are thinking about dropping out of school and doing this...think again. Most of you will be done before you ever even get started. I'm not enjoying playing full-time one bit. I probably should dedicate more time to reading/studying the game and players like some guys do. I just don't want to invest any more time into this stupid game than I already do. It seems like I'm at the computer so much already. Some of these kids with their 4438957 posts on 2p2 just live so [censored] one-dimensionally. They really get off to this game. There is a very, very good chance that my last hurrah as a poker player will be at Five Diamond later this month. There's so many more interesting things I want to do with my time and money. I liked the person I was before poker a lot more, I think. Who knows though. I've pondered retiring from poker several times as you guys recall, and I've never really left the game. Maybe I'll win Five Diamond for like a million and a half. I've been talking to one of my friends who is an online MTT superstar, and there's a good chance I've been making a fairly fundamental mistake in MTTs. The funny thing about this game is that you always think you're playing perfect poker. I've tried several different strategies this year in live MTTs, and I look back at each of them and think wtf. I've played like a super nit, and the day after busting I tell myself I should've loosened up. I've played like a Swedish maniac and the next day I tell myself I should've played like a nit. Maybe I'm thinking TOO much. I'm playing the Sunday tournaments today. Let's make something happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds very similar to my current attitude toward poker. However, he's got the millions of dollars in tournament earnings and I don't. So I guess he has a little bit of a head start on whatever he decides to do next.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:42 AM

Two words:

Learn Limit.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:57 PM

some really great post in here
Old 11-15-2007, 04:37 PM

Not that this thread isn't long enough already, but I think with what has been said so far that I should show Shannon some love and give him my respect.

I started playing poker about three years ago and not too long after started reading DN's blog. I enjoyed it thoroughly and somehow found Shannon's blog. Since then I have started my own blog and friends/readers of my blog have started their own based on my blog. However that sounds, it just shows that someone like Shannon can have a greater effect on others than he probably realizes due to the hate and ill words that naysayers show him.

Since then I have been reading his blog and following him in his success and struggle like a sports team. Why? Because he posts his wins and his losses. He shows us (the public) what he's going through and a huge part of that is what he's going through now.

For every (decent) poker player, they have to look at their flaws when they are losing. What Shannon is noticing right now seems to be that he has lost his passion for the game of poker and that is what needs to be adjusted. He obviously mentioned that he has tried to play tight and tried to play loose and neither has worked, but on a much higher level he has lost his love for the game.

Does losing have to do with it? Undoubtedly. But for some of us who have lost and gone busto, we continue to yearn for the game and have a hunger to learn more and correct our missteps.

For Shannon, that means exploring other options in life, which he is lucky enough to have.

So why not explore them? Poker will always be there. Youth will not.

Also -- it's funny that people always remember one hand where you failed miserably and forget the hundreds of hands that you played perfectly. In this case it's the straight flush hand. I'm sure that the people mentioning that hand have never overlooked a hand or made a horrible read.

Good luck Shannon and just realize that your supporters will take you a lot further than your haters can ever hold you down.

Also -- Tex, great post, well stated.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:39 PM

Shaniac made a good point when he said the reason ppl are rubbed wrong by the blog entry is b/c shannon has takin a lot from poker. made great money. has run incredibly well. and now sits there and calls it a "stupid game"....correct me if im wrong shane.