Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Investing 100k in gold/silver?

I'm considering the option to investing large sums of (100k+) cash into gold/silver.

Is the price of commodities expected to grow over the long term? If so, what is the average yearly growth of the price of gold/silver?

Do I purchase it from a special vendor, because I'm sure the retail stores around here have a significantly marked up price.

Is it difficult to sell?

What would cause the price to increase?

What would cause the price to decrease?

Does it protect my assets against inflation, and is it secure?

Anything else would be appreciated.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Investing 100k in gold/silver?

I like your thinking.

Personally, I like GOLD, SILVER, and CORN in the commodity sector.

Corn is trading well under its 4.00+ high of a few weeks ago and has fallen sharply since. The reports I'm getting from farmers in many areas in the midwest is that alot of crops are being adversely affected by the heat/drought....thus, we will probably see yield considerably lower than is expected.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like your thinking.

Corn is trading well under its 4.00+ high of a few weeks ago and has fallen sharply since. The reports I'm getting from farmers in many areas in the midwest is that alot of crops are being adversely affected by the heat/drought....thus, we will probably see yield considerably lower than is expected.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't tell if I'm being leveled, and that in itself scares me.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:53 PM

if you do it get physical.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:57 PM

your not being leveled, and i too have heard a lot of positive speculation regarding gold and silver.

i obv don't know how much you know or how much you have, but the general advice ive read on here is no more than 10% of your money in commodities.

also, i dont know how used to all this you are, but if you have that much in gold you'll be checking the price every day and read up on articles etc, which can kinda take over too much.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like your thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't tell if I'm being leveled, and that in itself scares me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very simple to read various AG boards on the internet and realize this. Everybody is expecting a huge corn crop this year based on planted acres............not potential yield.

Many areas are drought/heat ridden.

Having said that, I'm still bullish with SILVER 2x more than CORN. The US dollar is taking a beating and getting worse. Silver is poised to make a run at $20 levels soon in my opinion.

-FH-
Old 07-26-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your not being leveled, and i too have heard a lot of positive speculation regarding gold and silver.

i obv don't know how much you know or how much you have, but the general advice ive read on here is no more than 10% of your money in commodities.

also, i dont know how used to all this you are, but if you have that much in gold you'll be checking the price every day and read up on articles etc, which can kinda take over too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm looking for a long term investment. Gold was at $850/o in 1980, and it dropped to $250/o and still hasn't fully recovered.

Seems like a very risky, and rocky road.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm looking for a long term investment. Gold was at $850/o in 1980, and it dropped to $250/o and still hasn't fully recovered.

Seems like a very risky, and rocky road.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you feel silver is a much better way to go than gold?
Old 07-26-2007, 06:29 PM

I tried to buy silver at $5/oz. a few years ago.
I missed out because I could find no good way to purchase it. Shipping, Insurance, storage, and quality of the physical asset was extremely difficult to find and made it like $7+/oz. to buy something trading for $5/oz.

It went to $13/oz. in less than 1 year.

Three years ago, I ended up buying VGPMX, which I sold yesterday for 120% profit. I do not advise getting into that fund though, as it will go down with the market as it is gold stocks and not a commodity.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:37 PM

I invested in gold via the 'GLD' Exchange Traded Fund. Can also do SLV as well for Silver. Easiest way to invest I think.