Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Is there any book that addresses the typical 1/2 NL game?

i have largay's book..... but does he make clear what stack sizes he's assuming? it seems it's too much deception for 40BB stacks, for example.... and then he likes to just go crazy early in hopes of building a large stack. does he assume other large stacks or does he just want to scare the smaller stacks??... and he talks about straddling every hand in certain games (every UTG hand? or is that the same thing?) which i certainly wouldn't advocate
Old 04-02-2007, 05:32 PM

Ive read Fox/Hraker Mastering NLHE. It does discuss NL SS cash games but would recommend Largay's book personally. It's a little more comprehensive I think.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:45 PM

How good id the Largay book? It has good ratings on Amazon. I am thinking of getting it.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:11 PM

No one who plays 1/2 NL could write a book worth reading. Stick to Sklansky/Miller, Brunson, Reuben/Ciaffone, and Harrington. Figure out yourself what adjustments to make for loose low stakes games.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No one who plays 1/2 NL could write a book worth reading. Stick to Sklansky/Miller, Brunson, Reuben/Ciaffone, and Harrington. Figure out yourself what adjustments to make for loose low stakes games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good grief. You trying to get your face on Mt. Rushmore with Mason and Sklansky?

One of the reasons SSHE has been a great success is because Ed actually PLAYED the games. He worked his way up. David, in the foreward, said it was a book he and Mason couldn't write because they never played in low limit games.

I see you are still making blanket statements without thinking first. This one is a hoot.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good grief. You trying to get your face on Mt. Rushmore with Mason and Sklansky?

One of the reasons SSHE has been a great success is because Ed actually PLAYED the games. He worked his way up. David, in the foreward, said it was a book he and Mason couldn't write because they never played in low limit games.

I see you are still making blanket statements without thinking first. This one is a hoot.

[/ QUOTE ]
SSHE is a good book, but most of the books on playing low stakes games are pretty worthless.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
SSHE is a good book, but most of the books on playing low stakes games are pretty worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Angel largay happens to be a high limit N/L player who happened to sit in a 2/5 game waiting for a seat to the big game. He found the game to be very profitable and goes on to give concepts, tactics, strategies, etc to beat the game.
Betgo I dont think you have any idea what your rambling about.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2007, 09:11 PM

I read some book in the bookstore for playing 1/2 NL and the authors were amateur players who "supplemented their income" at that game. I thought they were typical 1/2 NL donks.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In particular, I am looking for a book that addresses games where:
1.) Blind stealing is largely pointless because the blinds are so small relative to the average raise and average pot; and
2.) Multiple opponents routinely call large preflop raises, so that the initial raiser is often playing out of position.

Any recommendations?

[/ QUOTE ]

while PNL isn't about $1-$2 nl, it's the book you want. if you can't steal, you must plan all hands around commitment and get in when the getting is good. there's a long section in volume 1 that explains in detail how to plan a hand preflop around commitment. absorb it and you'll kick the living [censored] out of your game.

the good news is position doesn't matter nearly as much as it does in tougher games. the bad news is if large preflop raises are the norm and you cannot steal, you have to play tight preflop regardless of your position. that make it like a football scholarship job. you get paid very well to watch the grass grow. profitable, but excrutiatingly boring. i recommend bringing good beer.

on the other hand, if you can steal, it gets very interesting. a good hand reader can play a lot more hands and annihilate such a game.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:44 PM

matt, thanks, good comments!!

seen this a few times, what about when it's the same few (maybe one person) raising but there are two or three callers? hard to isolate, but major price to enter pot.... just wait for QQ-AA?? not that different than football player summer job analogy?... thanks in advance for any response!!