Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: A loses at 8:00:00 or 8:01
A loses at 8:00:00 35 77.78%
A loses at 8:01:00 10 22.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2007, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Schaub to Texans?

What is this love that Schaub is getting based on? One good game against New England? Preseason performance? College?

If what I've been told is correct getting rid of Vick would have been impossible without huge cap penalties, and Schaub would still have been a free agent soon anyways (ATL would not hve been able to afford both at what the market price will be). I don't see how this is anything but a great deal for Atlanta.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:21 AM

heh, schuab has always gotten some hype, but this deal is nuts, how can a falcons fan not be happy with what they got back in return...

btw, i thought carr had a couple years on his contract bought back, so what's with this move on the texans part??
Old 03-22-2007, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
btw, i thought carr had a couple years on his contract bought back, so what's with this move on the texans part??

[/ QUOTE ]

He recieved a big roster bonus at the beginning of last season, which has already been paid and counts against the cap whether they keep him or ditch him. The Texans look really stupid for keeping Carr last year (and paying the bonus) and now giving up on him one year later. But at this point, it's probably better to fix the problem than stay with Carr, but I would have fixed it by drafting a QB, not trading away multiple high picks for Schaub.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just a card carrying Vick hater.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine, so am I. He's a mediocre starting QB. But this trade was driven by the "economics" of the NFL. They gave Vick a huge contract, so now they're essentially locked into him whether they like it or not. Plus he sells jerseys and puts butts in the seats. Vick isn't going anywhere.

If Schaub has a fantastic season, sure, the Falcons will look stupid. But it's MUCH more likely that Schaub struggles, and the Texans will look stupid. And that's nothing against Schaub - he will struggle because the Texans are terrible.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:47 AM

i am going to apply for a job with the houston texans on the basis of me not being UTTERLY RETARDED, i think i will be miles ahead of the competition
Old 03-22-2007, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is this love that Schaub is getting based on? One good game against New England? Preseason performance? College?

[/ QUOTE ]

The grass is always greener...

FWIW, his passing numbers are FAR better than Vick's over the past two years, albeit in a small sample.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:53 AM

I think the Texans are planning to draft Quinn at #10 and groom him to start in a couple of years. I can't imagine they would think of Schaub as their QB of the future. Do NFL people think Schaub is a starting QB in the league?
Old 03-22-2007, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the Texans are planning to draft Quinn at #10 and groom him to start in a couple of years. I can't imagine they would think of Schaub as their QB of the future. Do NFL people think Schaub is a starting QB in the league?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no way they gave up two second rounders for Schaub if they only plan on using him for a year while they groom Quinn. That would be unconscionably retarded. Not even the Texans are THAT dumb (let's hope).

The whole trade is contingent on Schaub signing a new contract - the Texans view Schaub as their starter. Is he a legit NFL starter? Possibly.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i am going to apply for a job with the houston texans on the basis of me not being UTTERLY RETARDED, i think i will be miles ahead of the competition

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you're lacking the primary qualification for a job there.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's no way they gave up two second rounders for Schaub if they only plan on using him for a year while they groom Quinn. That would be unconscionably retarded. Not even the Texans are THAT dumb (let's hope).

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my thinking. They could've gotten plenty of fill-ins a lot cheaper if that's all they wanted, plus Schaub doesn't really have the experience to help groom Quinn.