Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2006, 02:46 PM

Default When the betting in PL looks like LIMIT

Have seen a couple of strange PL games recently. The betting, both preflop and postflop (except for the river) was almost always like a limit game. ie just one bb raised. It was quite funny. Even saw a multiway lot 'capped' at four bets. A river was usually checked, or potted if one had the nuts.

Now, I have been playing a couple of thousand hands of pl, and I was getting beaten up badly. My good hands pf, if potted, or raised to .75 were routinely folded (this in a .10/.25 party game). Any bet postflop seemed to take the pot down (when I flopped a monster draw), with no one calling, let alone raising (except when I was caught bluffing.

This kind of game seems to crop up occasionally, but I am at a bit of a loss as to how to play them.

My theory is to loosen up a bit - a half or third psb would often take down the pot uncontested. Of course i started doing this, but, of course, this is going to give someone correct odds to outdraw me.

If I bet pot size, my monster draws are all dropped.

Another thought is to do psb in LP preflop, After all, if they are dropping for .5 or /75 when the bb is only .25, then maybe the best way of beating the sh1t out of these wimps is to kill them pf? (I didnt try this, only just thought of it then). After all, that is what seems to happen in the higher levels when the pots are raised and reraised PF

Anyone offer any suggestions?
Old 08-31-2006, 02:52 PM

Default Re: When the betting in PL looks like LIMIT

The obvious adjustment is to play more hands, call with weaker draws (fewer outs, but still to the nuts) and then value bet when you hit big hands. Wouldn't recommend bluffing much, since bluffing in low limit Omaha is almost always bad.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:06 AM

Were you playing during a Party bonus? Especially during bonus periods, the $25 PLO8 tables are filled with semi-tight and extremely weak players. It's profitable but about as exciting as reading this post. I wouldn't bother adapting your game to play these tables. They're abnormal. Unless it is absolutely impossible, play at least $50. There's a few wild regulars in the $50 games. They alone already make the games a whole lot more enjoyable than the $25 games. And the other players tend to be less weak.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:14 AM

'If I bet pot size, my monster draws are all dropped'

That sentence makes no sense, perhaps you meant to
state that your opponents drop their hands?

Obviously, if your opponents play tight, then you
play LAG.