Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Fare thoughts

Fare thoughts
At least once a week a wine seller will come into my place with their bottles and spiel expecting me to listen while I taste their wines. Sometimes these sellers are the owners of the vineyard, sometimes the winemakers, and sometimes dedicated fanatic salesmen.
I don’t want to hear about the taste of the wine, I don’t want to hear how it was made. Please let me taste it first. With an gentle arrogance born of time, experience, and moderate success, I try to change the dynamic and relieve the tedium of a sales pitch. I give them my speech on wine.
You have forgotten wine gets you high. Consider that beer makes you feel differently from spirits. Tequila is a different trip from Vodka. Champagne and Cognac, same story.
Red wine is more soporific, white wine is a stimulant. Yes, we all generally accept this. Then take it to the next logical inference and this is the revelation, one I take to be demonstrably true. Different red wines get you high in different ways. There are wines from individual chateaux and vineyards that will consistently make you giddy. I have had bottles of a certain merlot that made each drinker depressed. These have been repeatable offenses.
Historically the most desirable wines have been the aged bordeaux from a handful of estates. And this is because they get you high in the most desirable way.
And yet no winemaker is trying to recreate this experience. We are puritans here in the U.S. and England. On the continent they are enamored of the experience of winemaking without much respect for the product. In South America they want the sales and in Australia, well I don’t know what they are doing.
So yes wine tastes good, but we buy it because it is an intoxicant and the better the high, well, the better we feel.
There is much more to it, but at this point either their eyes glaze over or they are fascinated and I know whether they love wine or the selling of wine.
So as you go down this wine road, consider: are you having fun?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Fare thoughts

[ QUOTE ]
white wine is a stimulant. Yes, we all generally accept this.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't generally accept this. Why would this be true?

I generally take issue with ALL of your claims of how alcohol acts as a drug within various solutions. It seems kinda bonkers.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't generally accept this. Why would this be true?

I generally take issue with ALL of your claims of how alcohol acts as a drug within various solutions. The OP seems kinda bonkers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's pretty clear he's high on something besides wine, and I want some of whatever it is.

OP, what was the point of this post? At first read it doesn't seem to serve one other than to display some really bad writing and give you a chance to tell everyone what a winey you are.

But, I'm sure you know more about wine than I do, so what do you recommend? What's good these days?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:18 PM

Perhaps my phrasing was poor. OK. Let see if there is any hope of a dialogue. In the progression of points I was trying to make, is there any agreement between us?
Do you agree that various alcohols make you feel differently? On what basis do you choose a drink; is it ever about avoiding an unpleasant outcome? I know my first tequila hangover was like no other. I know I get headaches from cheap Champagne.
Are there any common variables within types of alcohol; any anecdotal evidence? I have a friend who only drinks Heineken for its unique high.
Yes this is all outer limit thinking. Sorry just my way.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:49 PM

First point- maybe
The point of the post was to write and perhaps get better at writing, and I truly would appreciate any pointed criticism that can further this goal. I remember a long ago post of Tommy Angelo. He said 2+2 was a forum as much about writing as poker.
No not a winey; I would rather drink Herradura Silver or Classic Cask Bourbon when I can find it. Though I do hope I am an observer of what happens around me.
"What's good these days" is a most perfect perspective. What suits this moment. I guess the whole point is that nothing takes place in a vacuum; alcohol and wine have a complex context. What do you want from a wine? I doubt I can say what's good for you.
Want to celebrate? Gruet in New Mexico make sparkling wine that surpasses most French Champagne. Cheers.