Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Yet another Gore smear

BTW, a simple Google search reveals that Gore apparently stopped accepting tobacco company donations in 1990.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You do realize that it's still really sleazy for Gore to take money from them, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, I have no idea whether and to what extent Gore has taken money from tobacco companies. I'm guessing that big tobacco is like most other industries and spreads around money to candidates on both sides of the aisle. I'm also guessing that Gore, like the other candidates, is not in the habit of sending back sizable checks that he receives. While I disagree with many of the things that tobacco companies have done in the past, I hardly find it somehow inherently sleazy for him to accept campaign contributions from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Step 1) Go out and bash the entire tobacco industry, describing just how hard it was to watch their product KILL YOUR SISTER OF CANCER.

Step 2) Gain political support from sob story.

Step 3) Continue accepting contributions from an industry that killed your sister, that you will work against "until you draw your last breath".

Step 4) ???????

Step 5) Profit and hope all that sob-story BS gets you elected President.

Seriously, VCD, I hope to whatever form of God you do or don't believe in that you aren't so dense to see the inherent hypocrisy in this whole thing, if he has been taking money from big tobacco.

[/ QUOTE ]

At no point does he bash "the entire industry." At no point does he state that he is against adults smoking if they choose to do so. At no point does he promise not to take tobacco money. Every single point he makes is against teenage smoking.

How is stance at all different than that of any other mainstream politician, almost all of whom would say that smoking is a bad idea, but that adults should be free to do so. Most would even say that advertising to teens is a bad thing (except for those who really are in the pocket of big tobacco). Yet for some reason Gore is the only one who is singled out and called hypocrite. Wonder why?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol you didn't refute the "smear" at all. you just confirmed it happened and tried to rationalize it.

Gore: YOU KILLED MY SISTA (sob)
Tobacco: Here, take a few gs
Gore: Thank you

[/ QUOTE ]

The neocon talking point is that Gore is "anti-tobacco" and refused to take tobacco money yet continued to do so. Neither one of these things are true.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:59 PM

Deleted The pertinent part of the speech is exactly what that quote said he states (his sister died of lung cancer from smoking).

the fact that he takes money from big tobacco is awesome, whats even better is your blinders. God, how can anyoen be so stupid...haha...seriously Im on life-tilt that the OP could even consider that he is making a good point, or pointing out a republican trying to twist words
Old 10-15-2007, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

At no point does he bash "the entire industry." At no point does he state that he is against adults smoking if they choose to do so. At no point does he promise not to take tobacco money. Every single point he makes is against teenage smoking.

[/ QUOTE ]

And he doesn't even have to be against the whole industry or go on a witch hunt banning smoking from everywhere. But taking money from them? Come on. I see it to be as bad as if he was smoking, but with undertones of sleaze instead of just being pitiful.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, I have no idea whether and to what extent Gore has taken money from tobacco companies. I'm guessing that big tobacco is like most other industries and spreads around money to candidates on both sides of the aisle. I'm also guessing that Gore, like the other candidates, is not in the habit of sending back sizable checks that he receives. While I disagree with many of the things that tobacco companies have done in the past, I hardly find it somehow inherently sleazy for him to accept campaign contributions from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, why did you feel the need to start a new thread to respond to a post in another Gore thread. You could just answer in that thread.

I am really amazed anyone would actually defend Gore on this issue. Four years after his sister died, he gave a speech bragging about his family long history of growing tobacco, the product that killed his sister. Quoting Gore in that 1988 speech to tobacco farmers, he said: "all of my life, I hoed it, chopped it, shredded it, put it in the barn and stripped it and sold it.”

Remember, this is the product that killed his sister four years earlier. The event that he said turned him against tobacco. Does that quote sound like someone who has turned against tobacco because of the death of his sister?

Why can't you just admit that Gore was a total d-bag on this issue? He used the memory of his sister's death for emotional purposes, but the facts did not support his claims. He clearly did not become an anti-tobacco pol until years after his sister's death.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Mr. Gore's relationship with the tobacco industry has always been complicated, since his native Tennessee is the third-largest tobacco-growing state. According to Common Cause, Mr. Gore accepted $16,690 from tobacco industry political action committees from 1980 to 1990, when he stopped accepting them.

After his sister died [in 1984], Mr. Gore became an ardent Congressional proponent for cigarette warning labels. But he has supported the Government's program for controlling tobacco prices, so long as it does not cost the Federal Government.

For several years after Ms. Hunger's death, Mr. Gore and his parents continued to grow tobacco [on their own farms in Carthage, Tenn.]...

[/ QUOTE ]

NY Times

Article is from August 30, 1996. Old, old news.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Deleted The pertinent part of the speech is exactly what that quote said he states (his sister died of lung cancer from smoking).

the fact that he takes money from big tobacco is awesome, whats even better is your blinders. God, how can anyoen be so stupid...haha...seriously Im on life-tilt that the OP could even consider that he is making a good point, or pointing out a republican trying to twist words

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey look, it's guids making a personal attack. What a surprise. Maybe BBV4L is more your speed.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey look, it's guids making a personal attack. What a surprise. Maybe BBV4L is more your speed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, bbv is a probably a step up intellectually from this forum, but its like a trainwreck, I cant help but look at what you tards are spewing out.

There really is nothing to be said other than a personal attack btw, its blatantly obvious to anyone that has at least a few brain cells how ridiculous your op is.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:10 PM

Also from the Times article:

[ QUOTE ]
Last week, Mr. Clinton proposed to restrict tobacco advertising aimed at teen-agers and to limit vending machine sales by declaring tobacco a drug subject to regulation by the Food and Drug Administration. Mr. Dole has questioned the addictiveness of cigarettes.

[/ QUOTE ]

But that Gore, what a hypocrite! How much money do you think Dole got from the tobacco companies. It was at least enough to make him peddle the above nonsense.