Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Re: No motivation to study?

I have my LLB and I still maintain law school is a joke.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:04 PM

Well, you lost credibility again. If you went to a top tier law school in Canada and still think its a joke, then I'll simply maintain that Canada is a joke.

Not posting again in this thread.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:08 PM

NYC law firms recruit our top students so the level of education can't be that different.

We also had an exchange with Case Western and the US students were not that bright.

I don't believe the level is radically different.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:14 PM

i think about poker a lot when i'm not playing it. i also have no motivation for school work...but i firmly believe if i wasn't playing poker, i still wouldn't have motivation for school work. I go to college because i was brainwashed that this was the right path to go down while growing up. I still somewhat believe having a degree from a good school will help me at some point in the future...i'm just not entirely convinced of it anymore. i'll finish just for the sake of finishing.

(i'm in my 5th year) i chose Economics and Philosophy as my majors. I have no clue what to do with these majors after undergrad. Looking back I wish I would've chosen something more job-specific...like accounting...but too late now.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:33 PM

My only motivation to study is just for the sake of it, just so that I will say if some hot chick comes to me, "baby, I am a lawyer." Or maybe that I would feel like an idiot if I didn't finish law school, because every idiot has a high school in today's world. (I am not saying that if you don't have it, you are an idiot, don't get me wrong - I am just saying that it is easy nowadays and I would feel idiotic if I didn't have it). But this is not high enough motivation.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just so that I will say if some hot chick comes to me, "baby, I am a lawyer."

[/ QUOTE ]

this is also the reason why I study law..
Old 10-30-2007, 06:04 PM

I found a possible solution, if i prop bet with pple that i can get certain grades I might have more motivation. Now i gotta find pple who are willing to gamble lol. (in real world).
Old 10-30-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you've done poker and college at the same time. It's hard, really hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

University + poker is a LOT harder than college + poker (ok it depends on what you study but it's true in most cases).

You can't go through life only doing the things you like, and imo having the self discipline to drag yourself away from an addictive hobby is a trait good poker players need to have.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:05 AM

im dutch, so whats the difference between university and college?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:17 PM

Kids, stay in school. I was 18 and went through the same phase as most of you, playing 8+ hours of straight online poker or live poker downstairs in the dorm and never had any motivation to study. I ran good the same way most of you players did, although i never won more than $400 in a session but but money isn't the point here. I feel that the winning aspect of poker and spending your winnings is actually a "posion" that in the end, traps us all. It prevents us from studying (which is the most important) and having a good time in college. Winning makes us think that we don't need school and think that we can make an earning from poker but of all the successful college drop outs that wanted to go pro, how many of the UNSUCCESSFUL players have you heard about? Sure, we've heard of the successful drop outs but what about the ones that never made it? I'm very sure there's a good amount of unsuccessful college dropouts that thought poker was the answer but a few of these players need to share their story.
I sorta feel like i'm one of these players. After all the binge drinking, poker playing and 2 semesters of low GPA's, i dropped outta college and "tried" to play full time online.
Four years later, age 22, unsuccessful and NOW playing crappy low limit poker, i wish i would of never learned the game. Why so do u ask? Now I envy all my friends who did stay in college and finished up their degrees. They all have professional lives, don't really have to worry about money, never have to work in a crappy factory job and for them, school is one less thing they have to worry about. For poker, there's ALWAYS a game going on. Poker is never going to go anywhere, it's always gonna be there, so finish college while u can. Now, i'm going to a communnity college to get a 2 year degree so i feel that this "2 year" degree is actually taking me 6-7 years to get a 2 year degree, which is a joke.
Moral of the story: Don't end up a loser like me, stay in college, study b/c there's always gonna be a seat open at the poker table when u finish with a degree. You'll feel better that u've accomplished one of life's "must do's" and then u can play ALL the poker u want. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]