Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 03-12-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Harris Ranch trip report

A friend flew a couple of us to Harris Ranch this weekend in this plane.

We had some onion rings to start, I had the prime rib for my entree (with soup, vegetables, baked potato). Delicious, huge lunch.

This place is about 200 mi from SF with a small airstrip. About an hour trip in that small plane.

One of the cool things about the menu is that in addition to the Harris Ranch beef, they write on the front what stuff has just arrived from their farms so you can get delicious just picked fresh vegetables and sides.

I wanted to get a banana split but was too stuffed. Next time.

A beautiful clear, sunny day. The plane ride was great. 5500 ft going, 6500 coming back, very smooth ride. The only terrifying part was when we started descending (it was a little choppy around 2000-3000 ft) and then started slowing down a lot as we made our approach for landing. Was pretty sure we would stall and plummet to our death.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Harris Ranch trip report

That place looks pretty sweet, nothing like being able to fly out somewhere for the weekend.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:13 PM

I lvoe how the website makes it tough to figure out where they actually are. Like if you don't already know you must be some kind of heathen. I had to break out Google maps. Man that place is out in the middle of nowwhere. Nice to know you could stop at a nice place if you're driving up the 5 though.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:17 PM

suzzer,

???

http://harrisranch.com/gettinghere.php

There were TONS of really old people on tour bus stops at the restaurant.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:22 PM

Masked Man:

I'm too old to be an ardent fanboy, but flying down there is pretty effin' cool.

I've stopped there for dinner 3-4 times on the way back to the Bay Area from SoCal...usually a burger or a small steak. Standard fare, and the food has been good across the board. Prices are reasonable, and you're not eating at a Denny's or the McDonalds at the Kettleman City cutoff.

I find the smell of the area off-putting, though. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I think it has something to do with the bajillion cows wandering around. Summertime is nearly unbearable.

ETA: Being non-balla, I was referring to the Ranch Kitchen, and not the steakhouse. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2007, 07:22 PM

I don't see a link for "getting here" on the home page, or any kind of address. So I clicked Contact, which gives the city and state.

Also there are javascript errors that make IE choke if you're a developer and have script debugging turned on. But a lot of sites have that.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:23 PM

how does the food compare to a similarly priced SF or NYC restaurant? assume it's a place that's one of your 5 favorites in that price range/type of food.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find the smell of the area off-putting, though. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I think it has something to do with the bajillion cows wandering around. Summertime is nearly unbearable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Visalia is the worst. I had to go there to set up a network one time. I asked the people who worked in the office if it always smells like that. Their reply: "Smells like what?". Ok, that's my answer.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:31 PM

ot: We ate at the Ranch Kitchen as well. Normally would just have something basic for lunch, but since this was a special go flying trip, we decided to go all out w/ a huge lunch. Smell was not bad at all this time, but yeah it can def get bad around there.

K: It's very good for the price. $28 for a full prime rib dinner (or new york or ribeye) which includes soup or salad, potato, and vegetables. A very big meal. That's the most expensive thing there. Tons of sandwiches and entrees for $12-15. That is at the Ranch Kitchen, basically a nice mid-range casual "family restaurant." The Steakhouse is their fancier place that is just open for dinner and is a little more expensive.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:47 PM

I stop by here every time driving to LA and back. However, we never actually eaten there. I dont think anyone would be able to drive after a meal there. Especially for 2 to 2.5hours back to South Bay.