Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 10:10 AM

Default 1/2 NL at the taj mahal - small trip report

So i went down to the taj just to mess around i planned on playing a short stack at a 1/2NL table. So i sit down with 120$, most people had between 150-300. First hand i get is AJo UTG, so i raise 7$ total, get 2 callers. flop is 4 8 9 rainbow, i bet 20, middle guy folds, 1 call now heads up. J on the turn, i bet 40, he calls. So now im like crap this guy probably has pocket queens-kings or something. next card is a blank, i notice the guy only has 20 left so i bet he calls, i flip over AJ and he mucks. LOL ok what was he calling with, so i get a quick almost double up on my first hand.

very next hand, AJ spades. i raise 12$ get one caller, A 3 7 2 spades. i bet out 15, he calls. turn - 7, so im like crap thats not good, but i gotta bet so i bet 35 he calls. river is J. he has like 45 left so i bet 45 he calls, mucks. so basicly in 2 hands i almost triple up haha, gotta love the taj donks. (seriously wtf was he calling with?? AQ AK?? i doubt it more like A5 or something)

so me and my friend are waiting around to play the midnight tournament, its a crazy 12 minute blind 12k in chips for 50$ thing. So we get in , i fold about 10 hands and get TT middle position, raise it up to 350, blinds at 50-100. get 5 callers , wtf?? so flop is all low cards, i bet 1k. 1 call 1 reraise to 2k, so i call other guy calls. turn is a 10, i lead out 4k, middle guy folds, other reraises all in for another 6k i call. he flips over aces, river... an ace. blah

so i was down to like nothing in chips went all in on a A5 or something stupid and lost to a QJ. so anyway the tournament sucked. So then i was walkin around waiting for my friend to bust out and i stick 20$ in a video poker, hit 4 kings on like my 5th hand, so that was like 50$. then i put 20$ in a penny machine play for like 10 minutes im down to like 2$ and i hit a bonus game on 3x bet, you can choose to get 10 spins at 1X bonus or 1 spin at 10X, so i pick 1 spin. it spins and hits the highest value on the wheel and i win 150$, woot!

So all in all i end up leaving up about 350ish, yay for taj donks and random luck on slots hehe
Old 06-21-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Re: 1/2 NL at the taj mahal - small trip report

stay in the cash games forget the tourney lol
Old 06-21-2007, 11:08 PM

Default ????????????

why are you raising utg with AJ? Limp at most-good players dump this hand in early position.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:13 AM

Default Re: ????????????

1. The 3.5x bb thing is usually the live equivalent of limping, standard raises are $10 or more at 1/2NL.

2. They games play extremely loose and calling the river with 4th pair is not uncommon

3. LOL at limping AJ to open, you going to limp in EP with this hand and play it OOP? Raise or fold, forget limping.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so basicly in 2 hands i almost triple up haha, gotta love the taj donks. (seriously wtf was he calling with?? AQ AK?? i doubt it more like A5 or something)

[/ QUOTE ]

probably the nuts and he mucked cuz he felt bad taking your money...keep limping AJo UTG at a 1/2 table please
Old 06-22-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so basicly in 2 hands i almost triple up haha, gotta love the taj donks. (seriously wtf was he calling with?? AQ AK?? i doubt it more like A5 or something)

[/ QUOTE ]

probably the nuts and he mucked cuz he felt bad taking your money...keep limping AJo UTG at a 1/2 table please

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you talkin about, the best thing you couldve had on that board was a set, he either had a spade draw which i had the ace of spades or 2 low pairs, or just ace-x. i dont see why this is a bad play
Old 06-23-2007, 04:50 PM

Then fold it otg-even in loose 1-2 games.Unless you hit 2 pair or better on the flop, you very well may end up outkicked or outranked. Save your money for better hands in better position.
I play 2-5 or 5-10(very rarely).Maybe 1-2 just plays differently,but I'd still be hesitent to get involved with that hand early.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:30 PM

Limping UTG is pretty gross at a full table.

I would say a general opening raise is to $10 in Atlantic City and then to add $2 for every limper. Opening to $6 or $8 is cause for the whole table to call your raise. I might even start at $12.

Oh, and yes to be shocked with some of the hands they call you with.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:41 PM

I say stay with the cash as well. Or at least brush up on your strategy and play a 300plus30 or sumthin'... 50dollar 40mans are not worth having to stave off 90% of the field for the prize money. play tourneys that are for thousands, play cash games for hundreds.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:50 AM

yeah i think im going to work on my cash game more, mainly cause it has less variance than tourneys and my limited bankroll will benefit from cash quicker than playing tourneys