Default Re: Duke at Carolina

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The dumbest part about that foul, from Duke's perspective, is that it will really fire up Psycho T and the rest of the Heels for the rest of the season. If there has been one weakness for UNC this year, it is that they have not always looked like they were giving 100% effort every moment.

And I imagine T will make it his personal challenge to beat Duke every time from now on. And Henderson will now be considered a dirty player just as his career is taking off.

Sigh...

[/ QUOTE ]

DrewDevil knows what he speaks of. The Heels are rolling into Tampa with a chip on their shoulders right after the low point of the season when doubt had a choke hold on the program.

[/ QUOTE ]

We'll see. I didn't know you had the same heartbeat as the UNC program.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, pretty close. Two of my friends are very close to the program (Rams Club employees). I'm sure it is a lot like FLA football in that the typical college football fan isn't nearly as in tune with the goings on in the program as you are. Same thing here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, right and it wasn't a knock, I just think it remains to be seen how the heels will play out the rest of the season. Just because someone who knows the program feels this team is going to all of a sudden be an unstoppable chip on their shoulder team now doesn't mean it is reality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never said unstoppable. Personally feel the team tops off in the Elite Eight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you said UNC and "rolling" in the same sentence. That is the impression I got. You think UNC wins the ACCT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think the Heels take down the ACCT.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at this nugget that was just uncovered:

Quote last year on Jim Larranaga suspending one of his
own players (in the CAA tournament) for hitting
another player:

"It sends chills through my entire body to hear what
Jim did. Honestly, if he was here right now, I'd give
him a big hug. We need more coaches to have the
courage to step up in situations like this and say to
our kids, 'That's wrong; I'm not making excuses for
you.' If I were in the same situation, I hope I'd be
gutsy enough and strong enough to do the same thing,
but I can't swear to you that I would. If a big-name
coach did something like that, people would be fitting
him for sainthood by tomorrow."

-Coach K

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, we got it. You think Henderson went up intentionally to crush his face. A lot of us don't. Was it a hard foul? Absolutely. Is the suspension deserved? Yes. Henderson went up to challenge the ball, and made the mistake of coming down with his arm.

If you think he went up to punch him, you're high. There is no hypocrisy, because Henderson didn't outright punch him.

You won't find many arguing that Henderson shouldn't sit. Even on this side of the fence. Going on and on with righteous indignation, though, is belaboring the point.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:11 PM

I just don't get why he would go up so hard (I don't get why Tyler was doing it either) at the end of the game during garbage time if it wasn't for malicious purposes. A hard foul is pointless at that point. What message are you sending to your opponents? You beat are @ss but we're not going to take it when it doesn't matter. I think the foul and his actions were very inappropriate for the time of the game. I don't think they would have been appropriate at any time but near the end of the game during garbage time is very, very callous.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
After the game, Hansbrough had cotton in his nose while he watched his teammates cut down the Dean Smith Center nets.

Why was UNC cutting down the nets?

[/ QUOTE ]

The win against Duke gave UNC a share of the ACC regular season crown (Shared with UVA). UNC gets the #1 seed in the ACC tournament due to their win over UVA earlier in the year. It's a shame that Tyler didn't get to help cut down the net, that is something those kids will remember forever, especially being that they beat Duke in order to win the title.

[/ QUOTE ]
In the post game PC Roy said they used to cut down the nets at Kansas after winning the regular season title. we shared this wone with UVa so we only cut down one net " if Virginia wants to drive down here and cut the other one down" paraphrase have at it.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't get why he would go up so hard (I don't get why Tyler was doing it either) at the end of the game during garbage time if it wasn't for malicious purposes. A hard foul is pointless at that point. What message are you sending to your opponents? You beat are @ss but we're not going to take it when it doesn't matter. I think the foul and his actions were very inappropriate for the time of the game. I don't think they would have been appropriate at any time but near the end of the game during garbage time is very, very callous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to believe it was just frustration boiling over. We got beat handily in the season finale by our arch rival, and now Hansbrough has ANOTHER offensive rebound for ANOTHER stickback. Henderson went for a huge block and accidentally bashed TH's nose in.

If it were to come out that Henderson was intentionally trying to hit TH in the face, then as I said before, kick him off the team.

Duke, Henderson and K are taking a beating from the national media today, and deservedly so. K needs to get things under control. This kind of ugliness has no place on the basketball court.

And I don't want to hear any more of this crap about how TH shouldn't have still been in the game. Seriously, WTF?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
After the game, Hansbrough had cotton in his nose while he watched his teammates cut down the Dean Smith Center nets.

Why was UNC cutting down the nets?

[/ QUOTE ]

The win against Duke gave UNC a share of the ACC regular season crown (Shared with UVA). UNC gets the #1 seed in the ACC tournament due to their win over UVA earlier in the year. It's a shame that Tyler didn't get to help cut down the net, that is something those kids will remember forever, especially being that they beat Duke in order to win the title.

[/ QUOTE ]
In the post game PC Roy said they used to cut down the nets at Kansas after winning the regular season title. we shared this wone with UVa so we only cut down one net " if Virginia wants to drive down here and cut the other one down" paraphrase have at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks RamsClub. This is the first time I'm seeing this. Works for me. If it ain't broke...
Old 03-05-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to believe it was just frustration boiling over. We got beat handily in the season finale by our arch rival, and now Hansbrough has ANOTHER offensive rebound for ANOTHER stickback. Henderson went for a huge block and accidentally bashed TH's nose in.

If it were to come out that Henderson was intentionally trying to hit TH in the face, then as I said before, kick him off the team.

Duke, Henderson and K are taking a beating from the national media today, and deservedly so. K needs to get things under control. This kind of ugliness has no place on the basketball court.

And I don't want to hear any more of this crap about how TH shouldn't have still been in the game. Seriously, WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

DD,

This certaily has added some spice to the ACCT. I for one am really looking forward to the State vs Duke game. If the stars align just right we'll all be treated to Round III of UNC / Duke Sunday afternoon.

I know I've rubbed some the wrong way in this post (and many previous posts) and I admit I've pushed buttons and maybe "ran with the ball" a bit too far.

After further reflection, I don't think GH meant to break TH's nose. I do think GH meant to lay a flagrant foul on TH. In the course of doing so GH cost his team by being suspended for Round 1 of the ACCT. GH will have to live with the consequences of his actions because I can assure you Commissioner Swafford will not go against the ruling made on the court by the officiating crew. I certainly hope GH takes it upon himself to seek out Roy and/or TH in Tampa to make the apology he mentioned during the post-game press conference.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:32 PM

Not stirring the pot here. Bringing this to everyone's attention because the Kentucky / Laettner incident became a topic earlier in this thread (note: The Q (questions) are being asked by Greg Doyle of CBS SportsLine.com. This is from the standard Monday ACC Press conference).

Q: Did the referees do a good job?

K: Yes (pause) I think they did a good job. There’s a
lot going on in a short period of time – the blood,
the crowd. I’m not blaming anybody, but it’s just
unfortunate, and the person it’s most unfortunate for
is ‘G;’ because, that wasn’t his intent and that’s not
what he was doing during that play. I believe that
with all my heart, head, and whatever.

The main thing is for Gerald’s reputation. He’s not
that kind of a player.

Q: How many games did you suspend Christian Laettner
for when he stomped on the Kentucky player? (Gregg
Doyel, CBS Sportsline)

K: First of all, would you call that a stomp?

Q: Absolutely, I’ve seen it over and over.

K: Well then my judgment and yours differ.

Q: I’ve got some glasses. Are you serious?

K: I’m not going to get into it with you, because you
would always want something controversial.

Q: I would just like the truth sometimes, that is all.

K: No, believe me. There’s nobody that likes the truth
more than me. After the season we’ll talk about 1992.
I would rather talk about 2007 right now.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:48 PM

I don't know how relevant the 1992 incident is, but it wasn't a stomp, Laettner got a technical, which was appropriate.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how relevant the 1992 incident is, but it wasn't a stomp, Laettner got a technical, which was appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it wasn't a "stomp," then what word do you use to describe intentionally striking a player with the sole of your shoe while he is laying prone on the floor?

-McGee