Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Documentaries

I found a link with some more online documentaries. I have not seen many of them, so I dont know if everyone s working.
http://www.tv-links.co.uk/listings/9

Is there anyone that has a torrent to 51 Birch street? I would love to see it, but Its hard to find it in Norway
Old 08-15-2007, 01:48 AM

The documentary that I mentioned previously The Big Bang from 1989 is on cable tonight.
2:40am on Flix if you get that channel. It comes with my cable package.

It's on a few more times this week on that channel too.

I'm going to try to stay up and watch it but I'm really freaking tired so might only make it part-way and then catch the rest later this week.

It's just a bunch of clips of interviews of a few random people asking them things about love, life, etc.
IMO, the film has a good heart.
But I haven't seen it for years and my tastes have changed some so not sure if I'll like it as much.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:35 PM

For true fans of the genre, I would recommend anything by Frederick Wiseman. He style is highly obversational and very unique. Although there is very little in the way of narration or interviews in his movies, they are still powerful.

Wiseman
Old 09-14-2007, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Paradise Lost
Berlinger and Sinofsky's documentary of a gruesome triple murder in West Memphis, Arkansas and the subsequent trials of three suspects, takes a hard look at both the occult and the American justice system in 'small-town' America. Three teenagers are accused of this horrific crime of killing three children, supposedly as a result of involvement in Satanism. As in their previous documentary, things turn out to be more complex than initial appearances and this film presents the real-life courtroom drama to the viewer, as it unfolds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to reiterate how good this was. I would be surprised if anyone could watch this and not come away thinking that the kids convicted of murder aren't innocent.

[/ QUOTE ]

just watched this and am not sure where i land...the only person in the whole ordeal who seemed capable of something so gruesome was the stepfather john mark byers (wow, what a freak). the kids seemed odd, but when you look at the parents of these kids i suppose they are more 'normal' then we suspect. as usual, the incompetence of the PD in these large cases is revealed and usually prevents the actual truth from coming out.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:12 PM

Saw Deliver us from Evil a few days ago, not bad, worth a watch.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:20 AM

watched A State of Mind last night. it follows 2 north korean girl gymnasts and their families for about 1year, finishing off with pyongyang mass games. mass game scenes are spectacular. very interesting to have a peek inside the hermit kingdom.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:45 AM

The Show on MOJO is an interesting series about minor league ballplayers trying to make it to the Diamondbacks.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:03 PM

Very positive review of Ken Burns' - The War. I tivoed this not sure what to expect as I feel like I've already seen lots of exhaustive documentaries on WWII. But after this review I'm getting excited.

"One motivation was learning that more than 1,000 veterans die every day. A real storyteller can't hide from what those losses mean to documenting history. But all that matters is that he did make "The War." Because as it unfolds starting Sunday - roughly seven years in the making and 15 hours long - there is little doubt that this is Burns' masterpiece."

As an aside, whenever I meet a WWII vet, which isn't that often, I always try to say something like "thank you for the sacrifices your generation made for my generation". It might seem a little cheesy, but I think it means more to them than we can imagine.

I had a guy sitting to me on a plane get a little choked up when I thanked him. He was with a bunch of "hump pilots" coming back from a reunion in China. Basically they flew prop planes over the Himalayas from Nepal and India to resupply troops fighting in China. It was an incredibly dangerous job. Puts commercial airline discomfort in perspective.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:21 AM

Suz
I DVR'd "The War". Ken Burns usually does an excellent job and his Documentary "The Civil War" is regarded as one the gold standard and one of my favorites (I've already posted about it in this thread) I am excited to see it hopefully some time this week.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:51 PM

Awesome thread, but there has been a couple notable exclusions.

The Aristocrats
This is a documentary about a joke. It is a joke only told by comedians to other comedians. One of the most crude, disgusting and entertaining films you will ever see. Especially funny is the telling of the joke by Billly The Mime.

Not quite a doc, and not a mockumentary, I guess a faux-doc:
C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America
A faux doc made in the Ken Burns style of the history of America had the Confederacy won. It's an interesting idea, has humor, and can be intriguing and though provoking. However it is not quite as convincing as I wanted, and can be a bit over the top in showing how different things would be.

In the same vein:

Death of a President
Another faux doc, which details the events leading up to and following President Bush's assasination. It is a very even handed telling of this possibility, and in doing so stays very neutral (no anti-war, anti-GOP message or slant).