Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 11:50 AM

Default Re: what does \"ldo\" mean? it\'s making me nuts

[ QUOTE ]
Now's my turn to ask, where did "amirite" start?

[/ QUOTE ]

MORE LIKE PRIVATE JACKER AMIRITE?

(I have no idea where this comes from, but it's one of my favorite stupid internet memes)
Old 07-25-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mr wookie,

thanks. what about 'LOL'?

[/ QUOTE ]

This one has a little more complicated and sordid history. From the wiki:

[ QUOTE ]
Back in the early days of the information superhighway, memes, photochops, and MS paint were all but unheard of. Fortunately for us, though, Al Gore not only invented the internet, he helped poplularize the use of this "world wide web" for humor. As the inventor of the internet, Al Gore got to host the first ever picture. He elected that his compliment to Alexander Graham Bell's "Mary Had a Little Lamb" would be a nice picture of his wife, Tipper Gore, smiling. Curiously enough, the second picture ever posted on the internet was a shot of Ron Jeremy ejaculating, posted by a senior student at the University of Minnesota named Jack Hoff, although this is believed to be an alias. Coincidentally, then, when one would browse the internet, one would find Tipper Gore and Ron Jeremy right next to each other, and while the scales of the two photos didn't really work out, it might appear to the casual observer, especially one unfamiliar with the internet, that Ron Jeremey was ejaculating on Tipper Gore and that she enjoyed it very much. This coincidence was brought to the attention of Mr. Gore by his secretary, who figured that he would subsequently want to shut down the internet, or at least remove one or both photographs. On the contrary, Mr. Gore let out an audible chuckle and decided he would archive this serendipitous alignment of photos for his later amusement. As the burgeoning internet grew with more and more pictures, there were more humorous coinicidences of pictures beign posted next to each other, including a picture of a shoe store's sign with a couple of lights burned out advertising its "Ho Sale" that happened to be posted next to a picture of Barbara Bush. Mr. Gore couldn't let that one slip by, so he saved it as well. And then Mr. Gore got to thinking. Increasingly, he found he was using his internet to peruse it for humours pictues and stores, as well as go through his personal archives and amuse himself with his old favorites. He was spending less and less time plotting for ways for America to survive a nuclear attack, as the Department of Defense (DOD) and Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) wanted him to. If he could legitimize his own bemusement, though, he could properly justify the reallocation of his time, and what better way to legitimize once illigitimate activity than with a new government agency? Al Gore founded the so-called Library of Laughs (http://www.lol.gov) ceremoniously on April 1, 1986. He seeded it with his private collection of humorous novelties and charged the newly-hired bureaucrats of the Library to scour the internet for other funny material. At this point, though, the internet had grown so much in popularity that it was becoming a tall order for the bureaucrats of the LOL to keep up to speed with all the new content, even with the aid of the newly-invented "search engine." Meta tags were still years off from helping the search engines help the LOL from findnig funny "web pages," as they were called now. However, the agents of the LOL figured out how they could make their jobs easier. They asked the citizens of the internet to mark any content they found funny on the internet with their special tag: LOL. That way, the Library of Laughs could quickly and easily locate the most amusing content on the web by typing LOL into a search engine and archiving the results for the amusement of Al Gore or anyone else who browsed the Library. Nowadays, however, metatags and automated search spiders have largely removed the need for the users of the internet to mark funny material with an LOL, many still do, some no doubt because they are behind the times, but many of the old-time users of the internet continue to brand the best material for the Library as a throwback to the good ol' days.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-25-2007, 11:25 PM

Anyone else remember when "LOL" stood for Little Old Lady on this board?