Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2006, 12:54 PM

Default Most shocking/unbelievable finishes you saw

Matt Bryant's 62-yd FG to win the game the other week got me thinking about this one, I mean his career long was 50, and he makes the 3rd longest kick in NFL history and the longest since they switched to the 'k-ball' in 1998.

What are some truly unbelievable/surprising sports endings you saw? [I wouldn't include, say, Joe Carter and the Blue Jays because even a double down the line wins that game for them. It was a common occurence, just in a big game.]

Here's my list:
1) Cal/Stanford. Pretty unbeatable.
2) Douglas KOs Tyson. After being knocked down himself. Tyson had never been down in his career prior to that.
3) Miracle at the Meadowlands. Still unreal to watch.
4) Flutie's Hail Mary
5) Larry Mize chips from 140' in to win the Master's 1987 playoff v Norman
6) Music City Miracle

March Madness has tons of these, it deserves its on list:
1) Northern Iowa over #3 Mizzou - one of the greatest finishes imho. Maurice Newby had played well in the first half but had been on the bench much of the second half, but he was in the game on the final possession and, with the clock running under five seconds, he launched a cold-blooded 25-footer from the left wing that banged in. The clock expired, and the University of Nothing Impossible (as one spectator sign called it) had beat a team that spent much of the season ranked in the top 5 in the nation. The TV call of Newby's shot by Mike Patrick and Dan Bonner is also one of the best ever. You could hear both gasp when Newby put up the seemingly poor shot. Bonner, after the final horn noted that “he hasn't played in 10 minutes!”

2) US Reid's 45-footer at the buzzer v defending champ LVille
3) Jimmy V upsets Phi Slamma Jamma
4) Bryce Drew and 'Pacer'
5) #12 St Joe's 49, #1 DePaul 48.
#12 St Joe's upset #1 overall, and title favorite DePaul in the second round, but it was DePaul's first game due to the play-in that St Joe's had to win first.
Blue Demons were 27-1 that year. This is the last time a #1 seed lost their first game. DePaul had a few guys you may have heard of starting for them: PoY Mark Aguirre. Terry Cummings. Hawks won on a last-second layup with no time left on the clock.
http://www.suntimes.com/century/m1981.html
6) Drew Nicholas stuns UNC-W with 2 guys draped all over him.

What are some other truly great ones?
Old 11-01-2006, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Most shocking/unbelievable finishes you saw

Reggie Miller beating the Knicks during the playoffs with 2 three-pointers and 2 free throws, in the last 8 seconds.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:07 PM

I just love posting this. http://youtube.com/watch?v=FmrvVQFGFlY

Chills every single time.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
6) Drew Nicholas stuns UNC-W with 2 guys draped all over him.

[/ QUOTE ]

That one really hurt--had UNC-W ML (+330)...fortunately also had them straight at +9 or whatever they were.

Ahh, November....the start of college basketball and countdown to March Madness.

Another to add to your list:

Purdue (1) v. Western Carolina (16) 1996 opening round
-Our bet of the day was the U 145.5. Score was 73-71 Purdue with 2 minutes left in the game. Both teams went 2 full minutes without scoring, including missed front ends, missed 2 shots & W Carolina barely missing a 3 pointer and a tip at the buzzer. 2 minutes, 0 points from either side.

Also had UNCW (+2, ML) over George Washington in last years tourney. They pissed away a 19 point lead in past 9 minutes to lose in OT.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:10 PM

Charlotte Smith in the 1994 women's NCAA title game.

Teresa Weatherspoon with the halfcourt buzzer-beater in the WNBA Finals (1997?).
Old 11-01-2006, 01:11 PM

Yeah, I had UNCW ML in both of those as well, but this isn't about who covered or didn't, just unreal finishes.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:49 PM

I don't think anything surpasses Douglas/Tyson in my eyes. As invincible as everyone thought he was back then, he was even moreso in my eyes since I was 12 the night Douglas KO'd him Tokyo. Tyson was all I'd known, and was a buzzsaw force that was unstoppable. I was watching the fight with my dad and my grandparents. I couldn't believe how long it took, but when Tyson floored Douglas in the 8th, it was so obviously over. I would have bet my life in that instant. But Buster got up. When Tyson got knocked down, I yelped "Holy [censored]!" but no one said anything about it. I went to bed, and for some reason, I cried. I guess it was just coming to the realization that nothing is forever, and the truths you take for eternal and unchangeable at 12 don't always hold up.

Honorable mentions do go to: Lakers/Spurs on the Devean George shot; Music City Miracle; Cal/Stanford; NO/JAX where NO pulls off the multilateral TD only for Carney to shank the XP; Reggie Miller playoff game; Ali/Foreman; BC/Miami; Colorado/Michigan. Wow, sports rule.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:37 PM

best damn sports show has it "best moments shows" running constantly.....

i'd add kirk gibson world series and nebraska/missouri endzone.....

u.s. vs. russia basketball in 1972

paul henderson canada vs. russia
Old 11-01-2006, 02:50 PM

McGrady.

13 points.

35 seconds.

Winner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scdonVbC7tg
Old 11-01-2006, 03:09 PM

Kirk Gibson clearly qualifies, although we should probably disallow all illegal plays like Nebraska and USSR gold medal game [and the Cal runner was clearly down as well.]