Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2006, 01:20 PM

Default Alcohol Bypassing the Liver?

Has anyone ever tried an alcohol enema?

No, I'm not joking. Serious inquiry. Feel free to make jokes [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If they're too far over the line I'll probably laugh harder and Wookie will probably delete.

But I am serious...

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2006, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Alcohol Bypassing the Liver?

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone ever tried an alcohol enema?

No, I'm not joking. Serious inquiry. Feel free to make jokes [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If they're too far over the line I'll probably laugh harder and Wookie will probably delete.

But I am serious...

[/ QUOTE ]

And this bypasses the liver how?

Anyway, I don't approve of trying to bypass the liver. It must be punished.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And this bypasses the liver how?

Anyway, I don't approve of trying to bypass the liver. It must be punished.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know. I have never tried this. But I read something about it being absorbed in the bloodstream not via the usual method and bypassing the liver.

I am openminded, I'm curious.

Old 06-04-2006, 01:35 PM

Liver is connected to the blood stream, not the alimentary canal.

Might get into the blood more directly, but won't ever bypass liver.

The stomach stops processing after too much alcohol. That's why if you're on spirits, you can sometimes wake up feeling sober, but have some water, you get drunk a little again. It's the recommencement of alcohol absorbtion - the alcogol in your stmoach starts to get absorbed again after a little dilution.

Old 06-04-2006, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Liver is connected to the blood stream, not the alimentary canal.

Want a diagram? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
So that guy just made up the part about "two small veins at the very end of the rectum (called the middle and inferior rectal veins) that drain _directly_ into the veins of the systemic circulatory system -- thus, anything absorbed via this route goes directly into the main circulation without being subjected to first-pass effect?"

Dang! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2006, 01:38 PM

Well, the anatomy is correct:

The veins that receive blood from the end of the colon do not drain into the portal vein, which leads to the liver. They go directly into the inferior vena cava which bypasses the liver and goes directly to the heart. This avoids what is known as "first-pass metabolism." This should result in higher venous blood alcohol concentrations than if the alcohol is absorbed directly from the small intestine.

However, alcohol is volatile and can be excreted by exhalation in the lungs. The venous blood from the IVC passes through the right side of the heart to the lungs. A higher venous concentration of alcohol would result in more alcohol being excreted by the lungs, so the arterial blood alcohol content (which is the important one) would be lower than the venous. This probably wouldn't have a huge effect.

And, the entire blood volume circulates in about 1 minute. So the liver will eventually be given a chance to metabolize the alcohol that you have cleverly shoved up your ass.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And, the entire blood volume circulates in about 1 minute. So the liver will eventually be given a chance to metabolize the alcohol that you have cleverly shoved up your ass.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks! So one wouldn't spare their liver any grief whatsoever by alcohol enemas? That is what I think I'm reading.

Rats! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2006, 03:16 PM

No, your liver will have it just as bad. I mean, you get sober eventually, right? You only got that way because of your liver.

While I haven't tried it, it's my understanding that alcohol enemas are just to get you drunker faster, rather than sparing your liver/less hang over/whatever. It's more significant that it's bypassing your stomach thany bypassing your liver - where it'll end up anyway. Why anyone would want to bypass the pleasures of drinking it are beyond me, however [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 06-04-2006, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Rats! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Another business opportunity down the drain, Assume the Position Bar and Grille.

Customer: Rum and coke please.
Bartender: Sure, hike up your skirt and bend over.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, your liver will have it just as bad. I mean, you get sober eventually, right? You only got that way because of your liver.

While I haven't tried it, it's my understanding that alcohol enemas are just to get you drunker faster, rather than sparing your liver/less hang over/whatever. It's more significant that it's bypassing your stomach thany bypassing your liver - where it'll end up anyway. Why anyone would want to bypass the pleasures of drinking it are beyond me, however [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]
If I listed all of my health problems you'd swear I was a hypochondriac. I wish that were true. Hypochondria would then be the least of my problems, lol.

Needless to say, first I'm a diabetic, second I just got through with cancer (round one). I have only my left kidney and my liver keeps going in and out of failure.

I don't seem to tolerate alcohol very well at all.

Thanks for all of the great responses. Don't think I'll be drinking anytime soon, from either port, lol [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]