Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Duplicate Poker Deals Same Cards to Multiple Players. What\'s This

I dont see how two players getting the same cards at different tables in any way determines who plays better. How the other nine players at YOUR table play is going to have a pretty huge impact. In other words, the same cards at different tables will face very different situations despite the cards being the same.

Example: UTG has KQ, EP3 has 77, and Button has KJ.

At table 1, KQ raises, 77 smooth calls, KJ folds.
At table 2, KQ limps, 77 limps, KJ raises.

KJ played differently from the button because of action in front.

I would think that if you want to compare the skill level of different players getting the same cards you would need to equalize all the other variables that acutally make up the game of poker.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:10 PM

This sounds like a horrible idea, and really opens the door to all kinds of problems. There's nothing wrong with poker as it is imo
Old 11-24-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Duplicate Poker Deals Same Cards to Multiple Players. What\'s This?

I think it's a great idea for organized and moderated contests. Horrible for just random internet playing.

Tysen
Old 11-24-2007, 04:36 PM

The problem with this concept is that even on one table you guys are still competing against different opponents. If your opponent accidentally sits at the table with an average VPIP of 45 and tremendous pre-flop/post-flop aggression from people with mediocre holdings, and you sit at the table with an average VPIP of 20, you are probably going to lose the battle even if you are both equally skilled. Over the long-haul of course you will both sit in your fair share of loose and tight tables of course, but such is the exact same case in conventional poker games. You will still only win your money in the long-run where your decisions average out to winning decisions over large samples against the standard distribution of players at your current stake-level. As such this really changes nothing. Luck is only superficially eliminated from the equation, as there are too many variables that are still not controlled for (such as opponent playing tendencies, not to mention the ability to collude much more easily) to eliminate chance from the play.

Crap, didn't notice cjk wrote essentially the same stuff. Oh well....
Old 11-25-2007, 03:32 AM

I always wanted to see a TV HU tourney where there were mulitple tables of pros being dealt the same cards. See how each duo plays the same cards as were dealt to another 2 players. Cool idea for a site, but i think it would work better with HU play.