Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit

Old 11-10-2007, 02:49 AM

Default Re: surfdoc is in the well

Par for the course, thanks for doing this. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

1) In your opinion, what is the most misplayed starting hand in LHE? I guess a range is okay if that makes it easier.

2) Has the UIGEA impacted online mid-high games that much?

3) Is there a particular starting hand that you have a weakness for? Besides the obvious big pairs.

4) You've obviously recognized & corrected a lot of leaks in your game over the years. If you had to pick the one which made the biggest difference, what would it be?

5) 4-handed game against 3 decent opponents; they play aggressively, they recognize the importance of position, and they adapt to short-handed play & to their opponents fairly well. They do, however, tend to overplay & take their hands too far postflop. It gets to you in the BB capped. What's your calling range?

7) Is there a particular hand that you played in the past which you look back on now and cringe?

8) Favorite line from "Rounders"?

9) Does it annoy you when people leave #6 out of their lists?
Old 11-10-2007, 05:02 AM

edit: never mind im drunk and thought I was responding to a bbv4l well....

lol.

not that you wouldn't want to play me HU atm
Old 11-10-2007, 08:04 AM

Hi surfdoc. Thanks for going into The Well. I am enjoying your responses and I have some questions if you don't mind.

How often do you play poker?

What are some of the biggest BB downswings you have had at a couple limits? How did you feel about them?

What winrate do you believe is possible for online middle stakes online and high stakes live games today?

Who do you think are the best LHE players in the world?

WITHEG recommends default open-raising from the button with a certain 41% of hands (22+, A2s+, A3o+, K2s+, K9o+, Q5s+, Q9o+, J7s+, J9o+, T8s+, T8o+, 97s+, 98o+, 86s+, 75s+, 65s+) in full to 3 handed games. What do you think of this?

What do you believe are the best poker books ever written? Which helped your game the most? Have you read Mathematics of Poker? If so, what did you think of it? Did it improve your game?

If you could be any other person in the world, who would it be?
Old 11-10-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Par for the course, thanks for doing this. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

1) In your opinion, what is the most misplayed starting hand in LHE? I guess a range is okay if that makes it easier.

2) Has the UIGEA impacted online mid-high games that much?

3) Is there a particular starting hand that you have a weakness for? Besides the obvious big pairs.

4) You've obviously recognized & corrected a lot of leaks in your game over the years. If you had to pick the one which made the biggest difference, what would it be?

5) 4-handed game against 3 decent opponents; they play aggressively, they recognize the importance of position, and they adapt to short-handed play & to their opponents fairly well. They do, however, tend to overplay & take their hands too far postflop. It gets to you in the BB capped. What's your calling range?

7) Is there a particular hand that you played in the past which you look back on now and cringe?

8) Favorite line from "Rounders"?

9) Does it annoy you when people leave #6 out of their lists?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. The weak offsuit broadway hands seem to be the toughest for some to fold especially live. I haven't played a hand for an hour and pick up AQs UTG in a full ring. MP bad player coldcalls with QTo every time.

2. I think the games have gotten tougher. It just takes a little more effort spent on game selection. Not sure why exactly it is that I have done better since the change. I think it comes down to 3 factors. Less multitabling since the games aren't that great, adjusting to the regulars in a particular game better than they adjust to me, and just putting in a lot of work into my game since if I didn't it woulda been over.

3. I am an amazingly boring player and don't really see any hands that need to be played because they are my favorite. I see situations and adjust to them.

4. I think my biggest leak initially was giving players too much credit and making the incorrect assumption that they think about the game like we do. Eventually I just adopted the "they must be retarded" concept until proven otherwise for live players.

5. When it gets to me in the BB, I sit out of that game..If it comes already capped I think it will depend a little on how much posturing has been involved preflop but QQ-AA, AK seems about right.

7. There are so many it boggles the mind. These happen almost daily. The good news is that they are less frequent than before.

8. I need to watch rounders again but I like when teddy KGB does that horse riding gesture while saying he was "stickin it to him" or whatever. That always makes me laugh.

9. No
Old 11-10-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi surfdoc. Thanks for going into The Well. I am enjoying your responses and I have some questions if you don't mind.

How often do you play poker?

What are some of the biggest BB downswings you have had at a couple limits? How did you feel about them?

What winrate do you believe is possible for online middle stakes online and high stakes live games today?

Who do you think are the best LHE players in the world?

WITHEG recommends default open-raising from the button with a certain 41% of hands (22+, A2s+, A3o+, K2s+, K9o+, Q5s+, Q9o+, J7s+, J9o+, T8s+, T8o+, 97s+, 98o+, 86s+, 75s+, 65s+) in full to 3 handed games. What do you think of this?

What do you believe are the best poker books ever written? Which helped your game the most? Have you read Mathematics of Poker? If so, what did you think of it? Did it improve your game?

If you could be any other person in the world, who would it be?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually play at least a dew hands every day. Even on days I go to the hospital I try and get in some hands. Playing is actaully fairly relaxing for me. I usually play around 30k hands/month online.

I had around a 250 bet downer in the party 10/20 6max. I naturally asssume that I am playing bad even if it is like a parade of 2-5 outers and I move down quickly. Keeping ego out is one of my biggest strengths...and weaknesses.

I think 2/100 is sustainable for the best players at any limit.

I like that button open range default although tossing the weaker part of the range if the blinds have any game won't be a bad idea.

I think TOP had the greatest impact on poker. I also think SSHE is an excellent book. These helped my game the most. I have read all of them I think except mathematics of poker. That over the top math stuff gives me a headache and I don't think it helps too much although I accept that maybe it is just ignorance on my part.

If I could be anyone.. Hmmm, that is a tough one. Tiger Woods seems to have it pretty good. Playing a game that won't destroy your body for tons of money can't be too bad. If he only lived close to some world class waves it would be a done deal.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:48 PM

Hi doc, I'm currently a medical lab technician and about to begin my studies to become a technologist. From there I would like to apply to med school to become a anaethesiologist. How difficult is it to find time to study/play poker and to progess with such a demanding schedule. What things do you focus on when you do not have a lot of time to become a better poker player.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi doc, I'm currently a medical lab technician and about to begin my studies to become a technologist. From there I would like to apply to med school to become a anaethesiologist. How difficult is it to find time to study/play poker and to progess with such a demanding schedule. What things do you focus on when you do not have a lot of time to become a better poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is very difficult to play poker during the medical training years. Those are some pretty intense times and so many people get filtered out early on with tough college classes like organic chemistry. I think playing a lot would be a pretty big distraction and an most medical students would probably be better off not playing at all or setting a limit. I am not sure what to focus on when you don't have much time. The game requires constant attention. Just play small and have fun until you get in a situation where you can spend the time needed to improve and climb the ladder.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:50 AM

1. In one of the 2p2 articles (RayZee's I think) it outlines the evolution of a poker player, transitioning from tight and weak to aggressive, to loose and aggressive, back to tight and aggressive. Where do you see yourself along this path? Does the LAG side ever tempt you?

2. Should I go to med school and try and become a doctor? Serious question - I've always enjoyed the sciences and i'm good with people, my best friends father is a doctor, when i was a freshman in college I had a long talk with him and was seriously considering switching to premed for awhile. Pros/cons on time/effort invested vs lifestyle + compensation?

3. You have 2 weeks vacation to spend on surfing, family/job/obligations are all covered. Where do you go?

4. same as #3, but for regular vacation.

Surf
Old 11-12-2007, 04:22 AM

What things do you look for in a good, soft table?
Old 11-12-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. In one of the 2p2 articles (RayZee's I think) it outlines the evolution of a poker player, transitioning from tight and weak to aggressive, to loose and aggressive, back to tight and aggressive. Where do you see yourself along this path? Does the LAG side ever tempt you?

2. Should I go to med school and try and become a doctor? Serious question - I've always enjoyed the sciences and i'm good with people, my best friends father is a doctor, when i was a freshman in college I had a long talk with him and was seriously considering switching to premed for awhile. Pros/cons on time/effort invested vs lifestyle + compensation?

3. You have 2 weeks vacation to spend on surfing, family/job/obligations are all covered. Where do you go?

4. same as #3, but for regular vacation.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Yes, Zee wrote that. I do flirt with the LAG style from time to time. This happens more often live and I isolate weak players very light and sometimes recognize that perhaps I am doing it too light. So I guess I have come to the final stage.

2. The road through medical school is so long ans hard that I honestly believe it isn't worth it anymore. I remember when I was in college I would meet tons of disgruntled physicians who always told me "don't do it." It turns out that they had no idea how bad it would actually get. The regulations, medicare cuts, and excessive paperwork have ruined the practice of medicine. There has also been a swing in the general public's view of doctors. CNN puts up the 1 in a hundred million story where some surgeon operates on the wrong leg and the trust for doctors flies right out the window. Everyone starts looking for ways to sue or blame their physician and greedy americans start thinking that it is their god given right to have healthcare for free and the words "thank you doctor" become a rarity. Obviously I am stretching this to make a point but the unfortunate answer to your question is no, I wouldn't do it again if I knew then what I know now.

I think getting an MBA and finding some business niche would be a lot better way to work less, make more, and then get on to question #3.

3. I would love to do another boat trip to indo. The travel to get there is a little long for my taste but when I went the waves weren't as perfect as we hoped for and I would die to go back. Being out there with a group of friends whose entire mission is to score waves is pretty awesome.

4. Gonna need to think about this one for a while.